April*procrastinator and proud*'s Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay was the most anticipated book of 2010. Now that it's out and read by the people who got it as soon as they possibly could they all realize why. This book made me laugh and cry my eyes out, scream at the page, and finally pinch myself to see if I was dreaming. I actually did the last one everytime I finished a chapter.
There's a lot more Gale in this book, my feelings about him remain mixed, actually i change my mind... i just don't like him. Peeta changed, I still loved him even though he changed. People would think he was a sissy, couldn't manage to fight back for himself. People though he was helpless. The way he was in this book automatically proves them wrong, because he was so strong! He just chose not to hurt people really (with an exception of Cato). Katniss broke. yep, she did (not goign to say why becuase of spoilers) but she was really broken for a while, then she realized that life just goes on. She couldn't change what happened and giving up her life wouldn't change it either. So she moved on.
This book in the series had a complexity that the other didn't have. The whole book had a sort of feeling to it, that made it feel like the end, the last book, over. The whole time I was reading it it felt like I was in some sort of dream, because I've been having dreams about getting this book ever since September 3rd- the day I finished Catching Fire. Thoughts always swarmed my head. I thought way too much about this book. I knew that probably at least one of the things I thought in my head were going to happen and one fo them did, but only one. it didn't happen exactly the way I imagined it in my head but pretty close.
The death in this book. I was expecting death, ones of my favorite characters. It did happen. Just not the ones I expected. the ones I desperatly thought were going to die didn't die.
The book was amazing and before I started this review I was convinced I coulndn't manage to write a review for it. I was crying when I finished it.
What I was really expecting when i picked this book up was a war. A war with armies lined up to try and shoot each other with guns, like the ones you see glimpes of on T.V, but this war was revenge. Dirty, bloody, revenge. On everyone. Everyone is a victim during a war like that.

The last words at the end of the epilogue really got me. They brought on more tears. Now I have to feed my Hunger Games craving with fanfiction. I hope Collins makes another book series as amazing as The Hunger Games. Because The Hunger Games was a HUGE part of my teenhood. I remember all my daydreams about what the heck is going to happen in the next book and what could possibly happen in the Peeta/Katniss/Gale love triangle.
The series is actually over.
Real or not real?
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Quotes April*procrastinator and proud* Liked

Suzanne Collins
“Technically, I am unarmed. But no one should ever underestimate the harm that fingernails can do. Especially if the target is unprepared.”

Suzanne Collins
“Yes,” I whisper. The red blinking light on one of the cameras catches my eye. I know I’m being recorded. “Yes,” I say more forcefully. Everyone is drawing away from me—Gale, Cressida, the insects—giving me the stage. But I stay focused on the red light. “I want to tell the rebels that I am alive. That I’m right here in District Eight, where the Capitol has just bombed a hospital full of unarmed men, women, and children. There will be no survivors.” The shock I’ve been feeling begins to give way to fury. “I want to tell people that if you think for one second the Capitol will treat us fairly if there’s a cease-fire, you’re deluding yourself. Because you know who they are and what they do.” My hands go out automatically, as if to indicate the whole horror around me. “This is what they do! And we must fight back!”

I’m moving in toward the camera now, carried forward by my rage. “President Snow says he’s sending us a message? Well, I have one for him. You can torture us and bomb us and burn our districts to the ground, but do you see that?” One of the cameras follows as I point to the planes burning on the roof of the warehouse across from us. The Capitol seal on a wing glows clearly through the flames. “Fire is catching!” I am shouting now, determined that he will not miss a word. “And if we burn, you burn with us!”

Suzanne Collins
“There are much worse games to play.”

Suzanne Collins
“You're still trying to protect me. Real or not real," he whispers.
"Real," I answer. "Because that's what you and I do, protect each other.”

Suzanne Collins
“Oh, he's on top of it. It was volunteer only, but he pretended not to notice me waving my hand in the air," says Haymitch. "See? He's already demonstrated good judgment.”

Suzanne Collins
“Even though I don't ask, Plutarch gives me cheerful updates on the phone like "Good news, Katniss! I think we've almost got him convinced you're not a mutt!" Or "Today he was allowed to feed himself pudding!”

Suzanne Collins
“You love me. Real or not real?"
I tell him, "Real.”

Suzanne Collins
“Finnick?" I say, "Maybe some pants?"
He looks down at his legs as if noticing his outfit for the first time. Then he whips off his hospital gown leaving him in just his underwear. "Why? Do you find this" -- he strikes a ridiculously provocative pose -- "distracting?"
I laugh. Boggs looks embarrassed and Finnick looks more like the guy I met at the Quarter Quell”

Suzanne Collins
“What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again.”

Suzanne Collins
“I raise my left arm and twist my neck down to rip off the pill on my sleeve. Instead my teeth sink into flesh. I yank my head back in confusion to find myself looking into Peeta’s eyes, only now they hold my gaze. Blood runs from the teeth marks on the hand he clamped over my nightlock.

“Let me go!” I snarl at him, trying to wrest my arm from his grasp.

“I can’t,” he says.”

Suzanne Collins
“My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am seventeen years old. My home is District 12. I was in the Hunger Games. I escaped. The Capitol hates me........”

Suzanne Collins
“Fire is catching! And if we burn, you burn with us!”

“I knew you'd kiss me."
"How?" I say. Because I didn't know myself.
"Because I am in pain," He say's. "That's the only way I get your attention.”

Suzanne Collins
“Oh, Peeta, Don't make me sorry I restarted your heart.”

Suzanne Collins
“You're not afraid I'll kill you tonight?"
"Like I couldn't take you.”

“Ladies and gentlemen....."
His voice is quiet, but mine rings through the room.
"Let the Seventy-sixth Hunger Games begin!”

“What about Gale?"
"He's not a bad kisser either," I say shortly.
"And it was okay with both of us? You kissing the other?" He asks.
"No. It wasn't okay with either of you. But I wasn't asking your permission," I tell him.
Peeta laughs again, coldly, dismissively. "Well, you're a piece of work, aren't you?”

Suzanne Collins
“I must have loved you a lot.”

Suzanne Collins
“Is that why you hate me?" I ask.
"Partly," She admits. "Jealousy is certainly involved. I also think you're a little hard to swallow. With your tacky romantic drama and your defender-of-the-helpless act. Only it isn't an act, which makes you more unbearable. Please feel free to take this personally.”

Suzanne Collins
“Ally." Peeta says the words slowly, tasting it. "Friend. Lover. Victor. Enemy. Fiancee. Target. Mutt. Neighbor. Hunter. Tribute. Ally. I'll add it to the list of words I use to try to figure you out. The problem is, I can't tell what's real anymore, and what's made up.”

“Real or not real?”

Suzanne Collins
“If I could grow wings, I could fly. Only people can't grow wings," he say's. "Real or not real?"
"Real," I say. "But people don't need wings to survive."
"Mockingjays do.”

Suzanne Collins
“I think....you still have no idea. The effect you can have.”

Suzanne Collins
“No one knows what to do with you, girlie.”

Suzanne Collins
“Oh, my dear Miss Everdeen. I thought we had an agreement not to lie to each other.”

Suzanne Collins
“Katniss....he's still trying to keep you alive.”
tags: gale

Suzanne Collins
“Well, don't expect us to be too impressed. We just saw Finnick Odair in his underwear.”

Suzanne Collins
“Finnick!" Something between a shriek and a cry of joy. A lovely if somewhat bedraggled young woman--dark tangled hair, sea green eyes--runs toward us in nothing but a sheet. "Finnick!" And suddenly, it's as if there's no one in the world but these two, crashing through space to reach each other. They collide, enfold, lose their balance, and slam against a wall, where they stay. Clinging into one being. Indivisible.
A pang of jealousy hits me. Not for either Finnick or Annie but for their certainty. No one seeing them could doubt their love.”

Suzanne Collins
“You're a painter. You're a baker. You like to sleep with the windows open. You never take sugar in your tea. And you always double-knot your shoelaces.”

Suzanne Collins
“Because something is significantly wrong with a creature that sacrifices its children's lives to settle its differences. You can spin it any way you like... But in the end, who does it benefit? No one. The truth is, it benefits no one to live in a world where these things happen”

Suzanne Collins
“I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there's no relief in waking.”

Suzanne Collins
“They'll either want to kill you, kiss you, or be you.”

Suzanne Collins
“But collective thinking is usually short-lived. We're fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self-destruction.”

Suzanne Collins
“Katniss. I remember about the bread.”

Suzanne Collins
“there's plenty of blame to go around.”

Suzanne Collins
“Delly lost her temper at Peeta over how he treated you. She got very squeaky. It was like someone stabbing a mouse with a fork repeatedly.”

Suzanne Collins
“Some walks you have to take alone.”

Suzanne Collins
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”

Suzanne Collins
“They more than do their work, they take pride in it. Like Cinna.”

Suzanne Collins
“Poison. The perfect weapon for a snake.”

Suzanne Collins
“There's a chance that the old Peeta, the one who loves you, is still inside. Trying to get back to you. Don't give up on him.”

Suzanne Collins
“I'm not their slave," the man mutters.
"I am," I say. "That's why I killed Cato... and he killed Thresh... and he killed Clove... and she tried to kill me. It just goes around and around, and who wins? Not us. Not the districts. Always the capitol. But I'm tired of being a piece in their games.”

Suzanne Collins
“Fine. I'll train. But I'm going to the stinking capitol if I have to kill a crew and fly there myself." Says Johanna.
"Probably best not to bring that up in training," I say. "But it's nice to know I'll have a ride.”

Suzanne Collins
“Peeta and I had adjoining cells in the capitol. We're very familiar with each other's screams.”

Suzanne Collins
“You're punishing him over and over for things that are out of his control.”

Suzanne Collins
“Don't let him take you from me.”

Suzanne Collins
“I clench his hands to the point of pain. "Stay with me."
His pupils contract to pinpoints, dialate again rapidly, and then return to something resembling normalcy. "Always," he murmurs.”

Suzanne Collins
“Closing my eyes doesn't help. Fire burns brighter in the darkness.”

Suzanne Collins
“But I don't know what to him about the aftermath of killing a person. About how they never leave you.”

Suzanne Collins
“He frosted under heavy guard.”

08/24/2010 page 44
11.0% "YAY PEETA!"
08/24/2010 page 79
20.0% "HAYMITCH!!"
08/25/2010 page 285
73.0% "this book is so insane... i LOVE it!"
show 3 hidden updates…

Jill i am so psyched for this!

April*procrastinator and proud* WHO ISN'T!!!
lol. In my mind even people who haven't read the books are psyched for it too XD

Jill hahaha they should be!

Arya LOL - your "review" of Mockingjay is HILARIOUS. I am sooooooo EXCITED!!!

Jill :D i really want it to be a movie like badly but I know that it could either be incredible like harry potter or horrible like twilight.

message 6: by Arya (last edited Aug 09, 2010 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya Hahaha. Yes I would love to be a movie too, but my sister (who also ADORES the books) thinks it would be a disaster. If it was a good movie version of the book it would be epic - take the movie world by storm - but if it was bad I think it would drive people who might have otherwise read the book away . . . so it would definitely be a risk.

Have you seem Percy Jackson and the Olympians or Eragon - those are even worse movie adaptations of their respective books than Twilight was. And I will admit that Twilight (the movie) was not half as good as the book.

Jill Well I saw percy jackson before i read the book and even then i was disappointed because the trailer made it look so much better. and eragon was okay, I didn't read the book to that tho. I think i sorta liked it because of the action in it

Arya I love Eragon (the movie is the reason I read the book!) but after I read the book and re-watched the movie I realized how untrue to the book it was. BTW the book was about a million times better than the movie! WAAAAY good.

Jill haha I own the book and I've never read it :) Also, I own the first inkheart books and I started the first one but didn't like it

message 10: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya Oh you should try them both again! I loved Eragon and Inkheart was really intersting, though it was not AWESOME like The Hunger Games.

message 11: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill hmmm i dont know, I'm not really into those types of books i love the hunger games, maximum ride, and the maze runner tho.

message 12: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya Oooh Maximum Ride. I have been on the fence as to whether to read that series or not for years! I hear it is good, and then I hear it is horrible. So you like it?

message 13: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill IT IS INCREDIBLE! readitreaditreadit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you have no idea what you are missing! at parts its boring but others its amazing! the best part is that they fly!

April*procrastinator and proud* Arya wrote: "Oooh Maximum Ride. I have been on the fence as to whether to read that series or not for years! I hear it is good, and then I hear it is horrible. So you like it?"

DO. IT.
READ....IT...NOW...
lol yeah you kind of got that I love that series!!
MAximum Ride is awesome!
it REALLY is!!

message 16: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya Ok I think I have decided to read the series. I'm going to see if the library has it!

April*procrastinator and proud* Jillian wrote: "look at this:http://mockingjay.net/movie/"

omigaaaaasssshhhh!
LOL i'm excited yet scared for the movie...

April*procrastinator and proud* Arya wrote: "Ok I think I have decided to read the series. I'm going to see if the library has it!"

yay! We corrupted you!

message 19: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Rilly *procrastinator and proud* wrote: "Arya wrote: "Ok I think I have decided to read the series. I'm going to see if the library has it!"

yay! We corrupted you!"

hahaha OHMIGOSH and suzanne collins is writing the screen play acording to the podcast on that website

message 20: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya Score!!!! I just picked it up from the library. I'll let y'all know what I think about it!!

message 21: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Arya wrote: "Score!!!! I just picked it up from the library. I'll let y'all know what I think about it!!"

you got the angel experiment right? thats the first one

April*procrastinator and proud* Jillian wrote: "Rilly *procrastinator and proud* wrote: "Arya wrote: "Ok I think I have decided to read the series. I'm going to see if the library has it!"

yay! We corrupted you!"

hahaha OHMIGOSH and suzanne c..."

LOL I heard that a looong time ago when i heard there was goign to be a movie.
And Mocking.net was the first Hunger games fansite I went to after I finished the hugner games XD

message 23: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Rilly *procrastinator and proud* wrote: "Jillian wrote: "Rilly *procrastinator and proud* wrote: "Arya wrote: "Ok I think I have decided to read the series. I'm going to see if the library has it!"

hahaha OHMIGO..."

Oh I just found it like a week ago and I downloaded the podcasts and have been listening, its sorta funny because they forget what they're talking about sometimes

April*procrastinator and proud* lol, they used to look so different from what they look like now.
LOL I wanna win something fromt he Mockingjay countdown thingy.
I wanna win a t-shirt...

message 25: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Rilly *procrastinator and proud* wrote: "lol, they used to look so different from what they look like now.
LOL I wanna win something fromt he Mockingjay countdown thingy.
I wanna win a t-shirt..."

mee too! but i'm pretty bad at remembering parts of books

April*procrastinator and proud* \LOL I'm not. I have it all memorized XD

message 27: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill If they're giving away double prizes for a day and you just happen to win....clue me in about it kay? (*-*)

April*procrastinator and proud* lol i willll!
i'm trying to win but its hhaaaaarddd!

message 29: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill have you answered any of the questions?

April*procrastinator and proud* well everyone knows them all so it's always answered. plus there are people who sit on the comuter and consantly refresh the page so they can win

message 31: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya I did get the Angel Experiment (now if I can only read it - and all of the other books I have out - before it is due).

I'll let ya'll know when I finish it . . . might be awhile.

message 33: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill this is pretty exciting, I must say

message 34: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya 3 more days!!

April*procrastinator and proud* yayyyyz! I'm so super super excited

message 36: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya I'VE GOT IT!!!

AND (Duh, duh duh *music*) I finished Maximum Ride *squeals in excitment* it was over 400 pages of PURE AWESOME!! I read the whole book in 1 day!! Thank you so much (Jillian and Rilly) for recommending it!! I have already requested School's Out Forever from my library . . . now I am reading Mockingjay while waiting for it . . . not a bad state of affairs I must say!! :D

message 37: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill lol mine hasn't come yet :( it may be here tomorrow tho!

message 38: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya Oh NO - I'm sorry!! :(

message 39: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill I HOPE SO!!

message 40: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya It's like we are IMing (comments were only a minute apart!)
Who is your favorite character from Maximum Ride?

message 41: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill i really like Gassy, and Iggy. Is mockingjay good so far?

message 42: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya Yes it is amazing!! I was just overcome with an urge to spill a spoiler but I will resist!! Hahahaha, I hope you get it SOON!!

message 43: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill haha yea Im tracking the delivery and it says its in transit and on its way to delivery so it might come soon

April*procrastinator and proud* MOCKINGJAY IS AMAZING EPIC AWESOMENESS!!!!!!
IT'S CRAYZEEEEEEEEEEE!

message 45: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill its coming saturday, and i'm really upset.

April*procrastinator and proud* why are you upset..??

message 47: by Arya (last edited Aug 26, 2010 03:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya Because Saturday is FOREVER away (am I right?) . . . hahaha :D

April*procrastinator and proud* you're right...
I think i would be dead right now if i had to wait.
It was amazing... sort of heart warming and not what i expected but amazing.
The epilogue was so sweet and sad and (again) heart warming

message 49: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill DON'T TELL ME ANYTHING! I BET I'M GONNA BE REALLY MAD WITH THE ENDING SO LIPS SEALED!

message 50: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya *locks lips and throws away key* secret ending is safe with me! :D

« previous 1