Pejman Yousefzadeh's Reviews > Shahnameh: The Persian Book of Kings

Shahnameh by Abolqasem Ferdowsi

Dec 25, 09

bookshelves: already-read

The Shahnameh’s overriding message is a humble and fatalistic one; however much wealth and power we enjoy in our lives, we are all going to die, and in death, we will be humbled despite whatever station we held in life. The only thing that we can do is to live a good life, so that even after our deaths, our names will be rememebred with fondness and glory. This message is reinforced by a number of the Shahnameh’s heroes–I am thinking mainly of Fereydoun and Rostam, here–whose works and legacy help ensure that they are remembered with respect and affection well after their deaths.

The Shahnameh is replete with heroes and villains, and stories of their monumental works, and its role in shaping Iran is a tremendous one. When it was written, Farsi was in danger of dying out as a language, so dominated had Persia become by the use of Arabic, thanks to the Muslim conquest. Ferdowsi endeavored to save Farsi, and he did so by writing a gigantic poetic tale, that relied almost exclusively on the use of Farsi to tell it. When necessary, Ferdowsi made up Farsi words, and only resorted to Arabic as a last, desperate resort. Because of the popularity of the Shahnameh, Farsi has not only survived, but thrived as a language. Knowing this, one can therefore get an inkling of just how important Ferdowsi is in Iran.

All of which makes it a shame that while the translation I read was a relatively good one, it was an abridged translation, and was told in prose, rather than in verse. I welcome suggestions for translation that are in verse, and are more complete, but to say that there is no substitute for reading the Shahnameh in Farsi, is to understate matters. The power and beauty of the language, the inventiveness of the rhyming couplets, the compelling nature of the tale–none of it can even remotely be replicated in a translation. I suppose that I will have to make up for not having been born and raised in Iran by augmenting my Farsi sufficiently so that I can get though an authentic rendition of the Shahnameh; doing so would avail me of the opportunity to get acquainted with one of the greatest achievements in the world of literature.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shahnameh.