Mont'ster's Reviews > NTC's Dictionary of Mexican Cultural Code Words: The Complete Guide to Key Words That Express How the Mexicans Think, Communicate, and Behave

NTC's Dictionary of Mexican Cultural Code Words by Boyé Lafayette de Mente

Dec 25, 09

bookshelves: got-it, non-fiction, reference, topshelf
Recommended to Mont'ster by: My wife
Recommended for: anyone interested in Mexican culture/Spanish language
Read in December, 2009

I have found this to be a fascinating book and I look forward to using it in my quest towards even more complete Spanish "fluency". The book is organized in short, very readable "chapters" - each one about one word / phrase / concept. Mr De Mente is obviously very knowledgable concerning Mexican history and culture and his writing is very informative yet he still retains an "approachable" style.

An example of the writing (from the section on Charritas / Dichos / Indirectas :
The Mexicans style of speaking distinguishes them from North Americans and others with Anglo-Saxon backgrounds. Mexicans love their language and they love to talk, privately as well as in public. They exalt in flowery, flamboyant expressions, in poetic and literary dichos (DEE-chos) or "quotations", in witticism and in insults - both humorous and serious.

This was not one of the books on my wishlist but I am delighted to have received it. An enjoyable reference book, I whole-heartedly give it five of five stars.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NTC's Dictionary of Mexican Cultural Code Words.