Christina's Reviews > The Brothers Karamazov

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Aug 12, 10

bookshelves: 1001-books-2006-edition, 2010, fiction, need-to-review, to-re-read, 1001-books-combined-edition, christmas-classics
Read from July 28 to August 12, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Karamazov.

07/31/2010 page 115
15.0% "As with all books by Russian authors, I find it takes some time to get into the book ..."
08/01/2010 page 164
21.0% "The book is really starting to come alive now with the characters claiming their spots and the action starting to heat up."
08/01/2010 page 203
26.0% "This is another book that will definitely benefit for being read more than once..."
08/02/2010 page 228
29.0% "I'm really starting to enjoy this. The relationship between Lise and Alyosha, the conversation between Snegiryov and Alyosha (p. 203 ff.), Grushenka, Katerina Ivanovna etc."
08/02/2010 page 265
34.0% "While the long discussions about God, religion, faith and the Russian culture are very interesting, they can be a bit dense to follow - especially right before bedtime."
08/03/2010 page 284
37.0% "Is this the best novel ever written? I don't know yet. Is it a really great novel? Definitely!"
08/04/2010 page 315
41.0% "Slowly working my way through this. Some parts are very easy-going and fast and other are really dense and slow-paced. But it's all good!"
08/05/2010 page 376
48.0% ""What terrible tragedies realism inflicts on people.""
08/06/2010 page 416
54.0% "The action is really speeding up now - no time for long philosophical discussions and debates ..."
08/07/2010 page 445
57.0% "Ready to start the actual murder investigation and the court room drama. So far I thought I knew who the killer was - now, I'm clueless!"
08/08/2010 page 489
63.0% "Now it's getting really interesting with the interogation of Dmitri."
08/08/2010 page 525
68.0% "We're following the boy Kolya Krasotkin now - not quite sure why or how it relates to the rest of the story ..."
08/09/2010 page 586
76.0% "The trial is about to begin ..."
08/10/2010 page 634
82.0% "I still think the trial is just about to begin ... Dostoevsky sure can pack a lot of action into just a few hours!"
08/10/2010 page 662
85.0% "The trial has begun - after an interesting philosophical dream about the devil ..."
08/11/2010 page 710
91.0% "I'm so close to finishing this one now - hopefully I can do just that tonight!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rhonda I remember the summer where I fully well intended to trudge through the Russians... and I spent over a month on Dostoevsky alone. Reading The Brothers was like reading a work of my personal psychology, both tender, intimate and then feral and reckless. It was an amazing span of feeling and reason packed into a single book.
Still I didn't think this was the best of Dostoevsky, as good a book as it was. I think this is his third best, with The Idiot being number two and finally, the book I hated in high school, Crime and Punishment being his best. When you read them together, I think it is easier to see why.

Christina So far I'm impressed with this book and I can see why it's considered one of the really great novels. I don't know how ir compares to other of his novels since this is the first for me and I'm only slowly working my way through the Russians, having startes with Tolstoy (AK and C & P - loving both). I have a couple of other of Dostoevsky's works on my shelf and based on this one, I'm definitely looking forward to reading these as well.