Alisa's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

1190851
May 08, 12

Historical fiction has always been my favorite genre. And the civil rights movement was such an important time in the history of our country. Sometimes I forget that it was only two generations ago that this happened. My parents were children, my grandparents were young parents. I remember watching an episode of the Cosby Show a few years ago in which a 3 minute or so clip of one of Martin Luther King Jr.' s speeches was played. Listening to his powerful, loving words was like listening to a prophet. What a truly inspired man he was.

I enjoyed Kathryn Stockett's book for the most part. I thought it was unnecessary to make some of the young white mothers seem so ditzy. And sometimes Skeeter got on my nerves. I really enjoyed the movie though. Skeeter and her mother were much more likable. They both had more of a spine in the movie. And I LOVED the scenes in the movie of the African American community at their church. There are few things more beautiful than a group of African American Christians singing with soul in a gospel choir. Does praise get any better than that? The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is the only choir that rivals that, in my opinion.

So yes, I recommend the book. And I recommend the movie even more.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

Judy Amazing book! I'm excited to see the movie that just came out too.

Alisa Oh, really? I didn't know there was a movie. I'll have to see it when I'm done with the book.

Judy I think it was released on the 10th (my Kindle kept advertizing it on the screensaver). Jenny finished it awhile ago, and she and I are going to go see it as soon as my gimpy knee lets me. ;-) You're welcome to go with us if you're in town. Btw, don't you just want to torture Hilly from the toes up? She drove me crazy.

Alisa Thanks for the invite! I would totally love to join you, but we flew to Korea the day after Sarah's blessing. We're back in school and busy life here now. So maybe I can join you for a girls night out movie next summer! :)

Judy Dang! I'm sorry that we missed you again. Life is just plain crazy sometimes, huh? You're on for the girls night out movie for next summer! :)

Jenny Porritt Alisa wrote: "Thanks for the invite! I would totally love to join you, but we flew to Korea the day after Sarah's blessing. We're back in school and busy life here now. So maybe I can join you for a girls night..."

Yes, please. :)

Alisa Alright then, it's a plan! Love you both!