☯Bettie☯'s Reviews > The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Mar 06, 14

bookshelves: spring-2010, published-2009, young-adult, poison, sciences, mystery-thriller, historical-fiction
Recommended to ☯Bettie☯ by: Xmas pressie from Mikael 2009
Read from March 11 to 12, 2010

** spoiler alert ** It was as black in the closet as old blood.

Page 24 - Vladimir Horowitz - Chopin Polonaise in A-flat major, Op. 53

Page 99 - Pietro Domenico Paradisi - Toccata for Arpa and Strings

Page 101 - Glenn Gould-Bach's Goldberg Variations (Part 1 of 6)

Page 103 - T S Eliot The Love Song Of J. Alfred Prufrock

Page 107 - If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd've Baked a Cake Eileen Barton

Page 129 - The Seeds of Love Lesley Nelson-Burns

Page 155 - Arthur Rubinstein - Grieg Piano Concerto 1st mov (1)

Page 159 - A Policeman's Lot Is Not A Happy One - Pirates of Penzance

Page 253 - Three Little Maids From School Are We

Page 260 - The Lost Chord
------

ETA - Apparently I missed one - Dear Hayes spotted this on page 93:

The Third Man

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

03/11/2010 page 11
03/12/2010 page 196
53.26% "Chapter 17"
03/12/2010 page 251
68.21% "

Marie Anne Paulze Lavoisier"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Started this last night and am really enjoying it.

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "Started this last night and am really enjoying it."

Oooh - I'll grab my copy right now. I see Wanda has marked #2 to-read but haven't checked to see if it's released yet.

How are you both? Last night it struck me that I had been a little too informative by sending Judy the contagious properties of pneumonia I'd found on the interwebz - hope it didn't prey on her mind.

message 3: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 11, 2010 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Yesterday I was headachey and occasionally coughing. Today, I'm coughing up mucus and I have a sore throat. And my ears itch. And have the choice of "can't get warm"/"am sweating."

My mother says she's about the same as she has been.

The sequel (The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag) seems to be out, at least in the U.S. (At least I'm assuming a Random House print is U.S.)

message 4: by Hayes (last edited Apr 16, 2010 04:57AM) (new)

Hayes Take care of yourselves! I had just the one day of "intestinal" and consider myself very lucky!

*doing the Italian hand thingy to ward off evil*

which when done upright, as a person in a high place shows us:
means "cuckold";

when done pointing to the ground it is akin to "knock wood".

☯Bettie☯ Hmmmmm - Italian hand thingie??

message 6: by Hayes (new)

Hayes I edited...

☯Bettie☯ That's the hand of a murderer - there's blood dripping. Is he an Italian Mrs Macbeth?

washwashwashwashwash

message 8: by Hayes (new)

Hayes No, no murders, just whitewash jobs...

☯Bettie☯ He won't, erm, be on my must-see list.

hahahahhaha

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads LOL, that hand sign here in the U.S. generally means "Hook'em Horns!" (University of Texas fans use it. They are the Longhorns.)

Wanda Hello Dear One. I hope you are enjoying this book - I liked the protagonist quite a lot. I downloaded Book #2 today onto my Sony Ereader. As soon as I am finished with the Bishop's Secret (Anglican bishop from what I can gather - do they have a great many secrets? and another mystery/thriller by Fergus Hume), I shall be starting on Mr. Bradley's Flavia #2.

message 12: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Aug 20, 2011 02:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

☯Bettie☯ Wanda wrote: "Hello Dear One. I hope you are enjoying this book - I liked the protagonist quite a lot. I downloaded Book #2 today onto my Sony Ereader. As soon as I am finished with the Bishop's Secret (Angli..."

I love love love the book:
I love the fact that M bought it for me.
I love the fact that these pictorial status updates mean a re-read is always available in an instance.
I love the fact that my bestest buddies also love the book.
I love the fact that poorly-at-the-moment Susanna is also reading it at this moment.

As for Anglican Bishops - I think it is irrespective of what denomination is used before the rank of bishop as it seems to me that bishops from all ilks have been rather too fond of their very own 'bishops'.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads I think the sequel is going to be in our future, when it comes out in paperback.

Carey Combe Well, with all those marvellous comments and the wonderful title, I went and bought it this morning - can’t wait.

☯Bettie☯ Hee - I don't think you will be disappointed. As you can see, its a book with it's very own soundtrack; it also has its very own library too, which I will make a point of logging when I re-read.

The end was rather weak, hence 4* not 5*, but it is a charming funny read. The sequel is due out in a couple of weeks.

Happy reading!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads That's consistency for you: I gave it 4 stars, you gave it 4 stars, my mother may have forgot to rate it here, but she told me she would give it 4 stars.

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "That's consistency for you: I gave it 4 stars, you gave it 4 stars, my mother may have forgot to rate it here, but she told me she would give it 4 stars."

Wanda and Libbeth also gave it teh fourz.

:O)

Libbeth Oh I hadn't realised the next book had finally been written. Whooshing that up to the top of my to read list now.

message 19: by Hayes (new)

Hayes I've ordered it, but it's not getting here fast enough... but I have a sinking suspicion that I'm going to buy my very first book for the eReader... and this is it! And the sequel!!

☯Bettie☯ Hayes wrote: "I've ordered it, but it's not getting here fast enough... but I have a sinking suspicion that I'm going to buy my very first book for the eReader... and this is it! And the sequel!!"

Well done Hayes - I haven't bought anything for my e-reader yet but Wanda does that quite a bit so it doesn't seem to be as scary as my mind is making it. (irrational mind-block)

Sweetness and that sheep mystery have been the most fun books this year for me and I hope you like them both too.

I forgot to mention that Lisbeth is on as a series now on Swedish TV and M is addicted to it. The same actors as in the films but a fuller rendition of the the millenium books.

message 21: by Hayes (new)

Hayes very cool... hopefully it will find its way here to Italy! The fil-um came out here last year, loong before its release in the USA!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Just read today that they are indeed planning to "Hollywoodize" Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I dislike all the proposed starlets for Lisbeth Salander.

message 23: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Apr 10, 2010 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

☯Bettie☯ Oh dear - Naoomi Rapace IS Lisbeth and I wouldn't wish to watch another attempt it.

[image error]

message 24: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat Thanks, Bettie, for bringing this book even MORE to life. I can hardly wait to get the 2nd book.

message 25: by Hayes (new)

Hayes Link to the Toccata has gone pfft... so here's another.

☯Bettie☯ Thank you for fixing the toccata. Hattip to Hayes.

:O)