Sab H. (YA Bliss)'s Reviews > Inside Out

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

Feb 27, 10

bookshelves: dystopia
Read from January 28 to February 01, 2010

Okay, so I first heard that this book was not that good. When that happens, I tend to have less expectations or expect it to be boring at least. So maybe its because I was expecting it to be bad, or maybe because I just love anything dystopian, but I really, really enjoyed this book. I've been thinking for a while how to put my thoughts into words, because I feel I liked all the aspects except the romance part. And that never happens! Or shouldn't happen at least. I will try to explain this as best as I can without giving any spoilers (I hate spoilers, if you read my reviews you must know)

You know when you start reading and you're getting into the story, you can sense which is 'the' guy as soon as the female character meets him? Like, from the first interaction, no matter if they instantly connect or they fight, you just know this is your guy, right? Automatically, you start reading their further interactions differently, start expecting the "spark" or the chemistry between them. Well, this time I was SO wrong! Ugh! That really pissed me off! I was really looking forward to their relationship because it was somewhat different (not the typical guy) but all of a sudden a perfect guy appears and bam! that's the guy! Maybe you'll see what I mean, maybe I'm totally crazy.

Anyhow, aside from the relationship part, the dystopian part was cool, it has the right amount of action and it kept you wanting more. The character were very well crafted and the plot was steady and interesting, predictable yet still surprising.
All the right ingredients + wrong guy = 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside Out.

01/30/2010 page 85
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lenore Appelhans Aww - I thought the romance was perfect. I think I know who you are talking about, and wasn't he more like a brother?

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) NO!! Not him... I'm talking about BM aka D. you know?

Lenore Appelhans Seriously? I thought he was like waaaaay older?

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) Aw man, I didnt get that vibe. Could I have missed it? I thought he was "around" the same age. o_0

Lenore Appelhans His hair was blonde, which means he wasn't a senior citizen, but I got the vibe that he was several decades older. Don't know why.

Shweta I am sorry to barge in on this conversation but I think BM aka D was much older than her. He was involved in the whole first rebellion business at the time when she was a lil girl.right ?

Lenore Appelhans He was...but I am not exactly sure how long ago that was.

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) See, I think the rebellion was several weeks before the book begins, when BM is brought to the lower levels. I wish I had got that older vibe, cause I was really bummed. Maybe the fact that made him different.. the WC.. makes you guys think that? I see that 'part' of society is a 'minority' that is not really explored much in YA books, and since I have a BFF that way I was automatically excited to read about it. Anyway... I'll have to re-read this!

Lenore Appelhans He was in the WC because they beat him up after the rebellion, that I do know. It seemed to me that it had been an "adult" rebellion and he was an adult. Not that age differences can't be overcome, but I never got the vibe that she was AT ALL into him.

Shweta I agree. She never gave out those vibes. But in the beginning I was feeling may be C was the one for her. :)

Lenore Appelhans Too bad she didn't take up with the rat guy LOL j/k!

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) LOL I didn't get the vibe she was into him, just that it was a possibility.. like hading him and taking care of him would make stuff heat up.. R appears later, so.. *shrugs* whatever. Poor C tho.. I wonder if he'll be in bk 2?

Lenore Appelhans No way C could survive what happened to him. Unless someone picked him up within a minute or so. And that would be really creepy!

Shweta I agree. He would have shriveled up by then and might be found hanging on to some beam or rod LOL I am totally destroying this characters hopes of comeback. Super creepy

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) poor dude! He was so nice..

Katieb (MundieMoms) Love your review and I am right there w/ you on "the guy" comment! That is exactly what I felt. Maria did an awesome job w/ Riley and Cog.