Natalie Joan's Reviews > Blythes Are Quoted,The

Blythes Are Quoted,The by L.M. Montgomery

Dec 26, 09

Read in December, 2009

A must read for Montgomery fans. I really enjoyed this. I was not a fan of the format - stories, poems and commentary - but to have this new perspective on Anne & her family, and Montgomery's views of the world, is priceless.
Note that this version is unedited and unabridged, so as to better reflect Montogmery's final writings. But in my humble opinion it is in need of an editor. There are many inconsistencies in dates and details - including more than one reference to Rilla and Ken growing up together, fighting and attending dances, which never happened due to their age difference. Notes in the afterword indicate many of the poems and stories were pre-written, then adapted to form this final commentary on the Blythe family, which helps to explain some of it.
In short, don't expect another Anne-book, but if you are looking for more detail on their lives after the war, after Walter dies, you really must read it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blythes Are Quoted,The.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Homa (new) - added it

Homa Thank you for the honest and balanced review! I just got the book and can't wait to read it.