Michelle's Reviews > The Information Officer: A Novel

The Information Officer by Mark Mills

Dec 24, 09

bookshelves: adult-fiction
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Murder mystery set in Malta during WWII? Historical thriller?? Love story???

Here is my take. It was interesting enough and I wasn't bored, per se, because I think Mills writes well. However, I certainly was not enthralled. The murder mystery was actually my favorite part of the story, and I wish there had been more focus on it, rather than on the historical aspects of the war (i.e., the bombings and air raids and such). It might have been a more exciting had he focused on catching the killer. The ending did throw me for a loop, and I liked that. Again, though, there was not enough focus on the mystery and the chase.

What I didn't like? The "love story" (if you can even call it that). The gratuitous focus on sex with a married woman was too much for me. And in the end, she is conveniently removed from the picture so that her pregnancy doesn't spoil the protagonist's "real relationship" with his "true love." Give me a break! And what's worse is that his true love knew about his infidelity and it didn't seem to matter to her. I just don't like things to be wrapped up in such neat little packages. Nor do I find graphic depictions of sex at all necessary. For this reason alone I would have stopped reading. However, since it was an advanced readers copy that I won, I felt obligated to finish it.

So, while I like his style, I just didn't love the story enough to give it a better rating.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Information Officer.