Victoria's Reviews > The Truth about Dogs: An Inquiry into Ancestry Social Conventions Mental Habits Moral Fiber Canis fami

The Truth about Dogs by Stephen Budiansky

Sep 11, 12

bookshelves: awful, nature, non-fiction, sold
Read from July 09 to 10, 2008, read count: 1

I really didn't enjoy this book at all. Which is a surprise, since I adore to read about dogs. But this book didn't offer any new information (other than offering an explanation for why my dog peed around Mary D.- because she's so tall!); what was the most upsetting was that the author didn't actually seem to like dogs very much. Also, the book really discounted the connection between a dog and its owner. And, I must admit, the gene-therapy at the end, I could only skim... it was a little too boring. Oh - and this book made a one paragraph dismissal of Rupert Sheldrake's entire book, Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home: And Other Unexplained Powers of Animals, which hardly seems like a thorough rebuttal... This really just wasn’t enjoyable, as it was filled with redundant information and an underlying tone of distaste for dogs.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth about Dogs.