Annalisa's Reviews > Me & Emma

Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock

542037
Oct 24, 2007

bookshelves: psychology, issue, contemporary
Recommended for: those who enjoy psychology and can handle the heart-wrenching sadness of child abuse
Read in March, 2005

It's a heart-wrenching story about a little girl living in poverty conditions who is abused by her stepfather. She turns to her sister for complete emotional support and creates a world where nothing outside their allegiance to each other matters. You want to protect these girls and hope with each incident that somehow something intervenes. The abuse isn't graphic, but even implied is horrific. I can still see this girl with dirty sweaty hair matted to her face curled up inside herself. Then you get to the end of the story and grasp how truly devastating the abuse has been. I didn't see it coming, surprising as it comes straight out of the textbook on one of my favorite subjects: psychology.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me & Emma.

message 1: by Lucy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy I loved this book. It seriously moved me because I was one of those who did not see the end coming. It's hard to read, but, sadly, I think a reality for some children.

message 2: by Annalisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annalisa Neither did I! As much as I like the movie Cybil and have an unhealthy obsession with psychology, I didn't get it when Emma pushed her out of the way and went into the room for her. I loved the book too; you just have to be careful to whom to want to burden such sadness with a recommendation.