Lindsey's Reviews > Going After Cacciato

Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien

Dec 24, 09

bookshelves: adult, historical

After reading another book by the author, I decided to try O'Brien out again. The reason I only gave it three stars is because there were points where I was confused in the story. It was disjointed, which I am sure was intentional since you can draw obvious connections to what the soldiers experienced in the war of Vietnam with no clear fighting goals or objectives.

Favorite quote: He was a big man with moustaches drooping to his chin; his hair was black, he was a history teller: "I speak only of history," he said. "Never of the future. Fortune-telling is for lunatics and old women. History is the stronger science, for it has the virtue of certainty without the vice of blasphemy. God alone tells futures. God alone makes history." ....Later while the others slept Paul Berlin asked to have his history told. But the mayor smiled and shook his head. "You are young," he said. "Come to me when you have had time to make a history for yourself. I cannot tell unmade histories."

Also on page 317. Awesome quote with Sarkin Aung Wan 2nd paragraph.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going After Cacciato.