Wicked Incognito Now's Reviews > Demon from the Dark

Demon from the Dark by Kresley Cole

Sep 03, 10

bookshelves: 2010, own-ebook
Read from September 02 to 03, 2010

This story features Carrow the Incarcerated--Mariketa's BFF. She is "the incarcerated" because she is so often thrown in the slamma. She is a par-tay witch. Her power source feeds of off the joy of others. Then there is Malkom--oh Mother of All That's Holy!!! Hubba hubba hubba!!! He is ever HAWT.

Malkom is a vemon--vampire/demon. He is one scary scary monsta.

This is a sort of a Beauty and the Beast tale, and I love me some Beast Tales. :-P

I marvel at Kresley Cole's ability to write about things that in any other author I wouldn't stand for.

For instance:
1. The fated mate scenario.

Every book in this series involves the male finding his fated mate. Whether it's a werewolf, demon, vampire or VEMON, the connection relies on the fated mate. I USUALLY hate this scenario because it just seems like a cheap ploy to get two vastly different characters together without having to develop a realistic connection between them.

2. The betrayal/deception storyline.

You know the plot device, it involves the hero or heroine being forced by some wicked individual to betray the other because some sort of blackmail (usually a child or other loved one) is being threatened. So the hero or heroine must betray the other one to save the loved one. God I hate that! Another cheap ploy to further plot. It's just so angsty and unrealistic.

3. The formulaic plotline.

Kresley Cole has a formula for her books. I've already mentioned the fated mate. Then there is some sort of lie or deceit that one can't reveal to the other. Then there is a lot of ALMOST sex. Sex with release but without penetration. Many many times. Then the novel has a big consummation scene near the end of the book. If one of the MC's is a vampire, then as a result of taking her blood (w/o permission usually) he begins to see out of context scenes from her life--causing him to distrust her.

But hold on there!!! These things DO NOT bug me when Kresley Cole writes them!!!! What? I know. Weird. But she just writes it SO DARN WELL.

Never, at any point while reading this series, have I not been thoroughly and completely entertained, turned on, emotional, and deeply engaged.

She creates sexual tension, super likeable and funny characters, a textured and interesting world....

I just luurv her is all. I want to hang out with these characters. I want more more more of Kresley Cole's writing.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon from the Dark.

09/02/2010 page 25
6.0% "Ahhhh....back to the badgirl witches...I love their irreverence and humor."

Laura I love this series! I can't get enough of it! I haven't finished this book yet, but I don't want it to end. I feel like Kresley Cole is so dependable. She always delivers a really great read. Even if the pairing isn't entirely to my taste, like Dark Needs at Night's Edge (the whole ghost/vampire relationship bugged me) I still read it cover to cover. So addicting!

Wicked Incognito Now Yes! I love a dependable author. Dark Needs at Night's Edge was not my favorite either. I just don't get the ghost love! But I love Conrad. It was good to see him overcoming his blood crazies.

Fani I agree with you April that though I generally hate the 'fated mate' plot, Cole continuously manages to 'sell' it to me. So far, she's the only author whose books are all above average IMO; I haven't found a single bad book in these series and they're 10 already. No other author has done that for me.

Wicked Incognito Now I know! She just amazes me. I've tried to figure out why her writing is so different. I think she is just has the right ratio of highly interesting world/ pacing/ character development / humor / dialogue / and details.