Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > The Stone Child

Dec 23, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: level-young-adult, read-2009, genre-fantasy, published-2000s
Read in December, 2009

I found this book to be kind of a disappointment. Specifically, I had problems figuring out what age the characters were supposed to be, and which age group was the intended audience. Many segments of the story made it feel like a middle grade novel, but other things - in particular, the religious references and Biblical reimaginings - made it seem more like a YA novel.

I was also not that scared as I was reading. There are some pretty terrifying things happening to Eddie and his friends in this story, but I never felt their fear. I felt more like someone was telling me about their fear rather than showing it to me. I didn't have much of a personal connection to the characters or to the story at all, and as I tried to think of kids I could recommend this to, I found myself struggling to think of even one who wouldn't be disappointed that it wasn't scary enough, or turned off by the DaVinci Code-esque religious twists.

All in all, I would say this book is not only not my cup of tea, but also not as tightly written as it could have been. It was a great premise, but the story didn't live up to its full potential.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stone Child.