Kelly 's Reviews > The Last Goodnights: Assisting My Parents with Their Suicides

The Last Goodnights by John West

Dec 25, 09

bookshelves: biography-autobiography, health-wellness-healing, medical, non-fiction
Read in December, 2009

It's too bad this book is written so poorly; the writing style is flat, boring, and has no style whatsoever, and there is no emotion at all. The topic is a provocative one - assisting one's parents with their suicides. However, the author never truly shows us the moral dilemma. He's not a writer, that is obvious, but shame on the person who edited this book. I understand that the author wrote this for cathartic purposes, but he actually comes off as an ass at times for denigrating his sisters and lauding himself. I don't expect him to be self effacing, but his pomposity was a bit much for me at times.

When I first read the book summary I was excited to read a book about a topic that we as a society are still wrestling with and trying to understand. Alas,I never connected with John's parents - they were not multidimensional due to his poor writing style, so I didn't care about his role in their deaths. I enjoyed talking about the topic itself but not the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Goodnights.