Zachariah's Reviews > Waiting and Dating

liked it
bookshelves: how-to, non-fiction, relationship
Recommended to Zachariah by: Jared Bestebreur
Read from January 19 to 21, 2010

I like the book.. It started off a bit slow, and has presented little information I wasn't aware of. Which is good because then I am able to know if I agree with it or not. Essentially I agree with Munroe's plan for dating-etc. There are a few points I thought funky. But as a whole i support the book and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone.

Another thing worth noting is he generally talks in principles. Which is great and maybe painful for many seekers. We don't want principles we want to know how to live step by step. But he lays out good principles and that is sufficient because all things depend.

He spends too much time for my taste looking at the marriage customs around Biblical times. I think his only valuable example is noting the Jacob and Rachel affair, how much he was willing to go through to get the woman he loved and his willingness to work, showing responsibility and maturity in the matter.

I guess his main point is that when looking to enter into a relationship it should start with the spiritual: both Christians getting to know each other's spiritual views. Progress into the intellectual (he calls it soul): getting to know each other's life plans make sure you have similar views and values in many areas, from raising family, to education, etc. And the third step is physical, which should be significantly restrained--holding out on hugging and kissing till very late in the relationship and of course anything more 'til after marriage. He also points out the gravity of engagement. It's not just an extended dating period. It's a time of intense preperation. Where a couple should be lining themselves up spiritually but also planning everything for AFTER their marriage (as opposed to wasting all their time planning a 30 minute ceremony), finances, education, where to live, etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting and Dating.