Ryheem Tribblet's Reviews > Swallowing Stones

Swallowing Stones by Joyce McDonald

U 50x66
Dec 23, 2009

Swallowing Stones is a captivating tale of a 17 year old enjoying his birthday on a 4th of July. The mind behind this novel is Joyce McDonald. She is the author of three children’s books. Joyce writes about a kid named Michael Sadowski who fires his new rifle into the air on his 17th birthday, accidentally striking a man repairing his roof. The world around Michael begins to crumble as he watches silently.
The dead man’s daughter, Jenna, grieves while no longer feeling warm when her boyfriend is present. She dreams of a stranger named Michael and she is trying to understand if her dad is telling her something or delivering a message through her dreams.
Michael’s friend Joe tries to convince Michael that he shouldn’t turn himself in to the Briarwood police. Briarwood police Chief David Zelenski tries to get to the bottom of this murder of an innocent Charlie Ward (43). He stated that the murder is presumed as an accident.
In the mix of the tragedy, Jenna is in an ongoing battle with her step mom. She tries to get her to understand that she’s determined to find her dad’s killer.
This book is a suspenseful page turner. This novel leaves you wanting more. Joyce McDonald entertains me with her common, but popular style of writing. She defies the rule of writing. Her writing pulls me into the story making me feel as if I were there, in Michael’s shoes, the bullet striking Mr. Ward, grieving as Jenna, or chief Zelenski trying to solve the murder mystery.
This is a great book and I recommend this to readers everywhere, especially those who enjoy a good suspense story. Reading the prologue makes you want to flip another page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swallowing Stones.