Kim's Reviews > Marie-Thérèse, Child of Terror: The Fate of Marie-Antoinette's Daughter

Marie-Thérèse, Child of Terror by Susan Nagel

Jan 18, 10

bookshelves: audio, france, biography
Read in January, 2010

Marie Antoinette is perhaps one of the most visible queens of all time, her exploits and tragic fate known to even those not well-versed in history. It is because of that notority that she often overshadows the fact that, while the queen herself did not live to see France come out of the fires of the Revolution, her firstborn child did indeed survive and continue on with her life.

Nagel provides an excellent window into the life of Marie Therese, from her idyllic childhood brought up by two adoring parents, to the horrors that the French Revolution would bring down on her family, and to the turbulent years afterward, where Marie Therese's circumstances in life would change with alarming frequency. The book is highly informative, showing the reader not only how Marie Therese lived her life, but also the lives of many of her nearest relatives, as well as the mysterious "Dark Countess", whom so many claimed (and still claim today) was the real Marie Therese.

I didn't know much about Marie Therese before I found this. After I read Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette The Journey, though, I became curious about the young girl who was ultimately left behind in the Temple Prison after the executions of Marie Antoinette and her sister-in-law, Madame Elizabeth. It didn't take long for me to become hooked into this book as I quickly came to admire Marie Therese for her strength and determination. I was constantly amazed at her loyalty to France, which was a guiding force for her throughout her life. That she was able to truly forgive the people of France (just not the d'Orleans family) for destroying her family during the Revolution really never ceases to amaze me. I don't think I could have done it.

An excellent book, and very enjoyable to listen to while in the car, or wherever.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marie-Thérèse, Child of Terror.