Elizabeth's Reviews > The Kitchen Diaries: A Year in the Kitchen with Nigel Slater

The Kitchen Diaries by Nigel Slater

Dec 23, 09

bookshelves: cookbooks, food-writing
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Shana
Recommended for: Sarah
Read in December, 2009, read count: 1

I really can't recall the last time I enjoyed reading a book as much as I enjoyed The Kitchen Diaries. I spent most the weekend curled up with it on the couch under a warm blanket, drinking a hot mug of coffee. It's basically the perfect format for me - a combination of diary and cookbook, reflecting on seasonal eating, cooking experiments (both good and bad), and the pleasures (and sometimes shames) of food. After reading through half the year on Saturday, I woke up Sunday morning dreaming of perfect breakfasts.

I think one of the things I really enjoyed and appreciated was his perspective on meals and portions. From the way he talks about food, it seems like his diet centers around very good food, but not a whole lot of it - so small, hearty, flavorful portions rather than a plate full of mediocre food. As I told Shane, this is something I struggle with in planning meals - I worry that whatever I make isn't going to be enough, or that there should be more protein, etc - when perhaps if I focused on healthy, hearty, and flavorful, the rest wouldn't be as big of a deal.

On the whole, I found myself really inspired to cook more, make better meals, and read and write about food more. So consider yourself warned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen Diaries.