Jennifer's Reviews > The Outlaw Demon Wails

The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison

Jan 01, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in December, 2009

I enjoyed this novel as Harrison is finally pushing us toward understanding the roots of the animosity between Rachel and Trent. I did, predictably, object to the conclusion of the Ivy issue. Really, Harrison? You have exploited the relationship between Ivy and Rachel for five novels and now Rachel suddenly gets smart? More likely, the intention was never to create anything valuable between the two characters, as that would be uncomfortable, and the lust and titillation of the uncertain situation has run out. The exploitation of lesbian desire remains my objection to this series. (I also find it interesting that Ivy, when sexually denied, is somehow more comfortable with Rachel. This seems unrealistic.) I find Rachel's sudden decision to behave "smartly" even more shocking, especially as her character has never been particularly logical. Moreover, Rachel keeps making rash decisions; the only difference is that she tells herself (and us) that they make sense. Honestly, Harrison needs to endow her characters with a little more consistency. Rachel's ridiculous shifts in personality (and sexuality) are giving me whiplash.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outlaw Demon Wails.

12/23/2009 page 1