Steve's Reviews > The Fires of Heaven

The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

M 50x66
Dec 23, 09

Read in December, 2009

This took me way too long to read. Most of that was because of other things going on in my life. That said, I wish I had read this faster.

I was warned that the books start to get more political somewhere around the 5th or 6th. I must agree that the story takes on a different flavor as Jordan's normal way of telling you what the characters are thinking is now at risk of telling you how major events in the world are going to take place.

That said, The last 100 pages of this book almost need the 4500+ pages that lead up to them. The story weaves together nicely. I must admit that my inability to stomach this much text may have led me to believe I understood more that was going on than I really did. It is really nice that the reader is reminded of the qualities of various story elements without relying on a descrption given 2000 pages ago. Unfortunately the one place where older details are not always clarified for the reader are the characters. There are a huge number of characters, and details of their appearance are reviewed, but their exact wants/needs are not... and this can lead to a little confusion. I think this may reflect the education level and paradigm expected of the audience, but frankly I lose track of different characters around 10, and there are easily 30-40 active characters by this part in the series.

On a side-note, normally I dislike the almost child-like qualities portrayed by many of the main characters. Childish though they may be written, they actually start dealing with serious events in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fires of Heaven.