Sarah's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Dec 29, 2009

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in December, 2009

This marks my 100th book of the year. Yeah!

I'd heard of this series for a while, and the book did not disappoint. Intricate, dense, and very clever, it somehow made the Swedish financial system utterly fascinating, while interweaving several different, equally compelling mysteries. A main theme was the systematic degradation of women, and certain gender role reversals were refreshing and satisfying.

Although I was captivated and anxious to know what was going to happen, I was hoping that the "girl" of the title, Lisbeth Salander, would have more of a lead role. Also, several plots were much darker and more, um, sexually disturbing than I was prepared for. Now I'm nervous because I got this book on CD for my parents to listen to while driving to Palm Springs! I feel like I need to warn them away or something. It's also for this reason that I don't think I'll be picking up the next one in the series (there was an excerpt from "The Girl Who Played With Fire" at the end that makes it very clear that the disturbingness is just beginning).

Still, the book was riveting and terrifically crafted, and maybe once some time has passed I'll change my mind about the sequel and give it a go.