Amy's Reviews > Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids

Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne

Feb 14, 10

bookshelves: parenting-books
Read in February, 2010

This book was pretty interesting....the topic is one I am trying to embrace, so I was pretty excited to read it. The author is a researcher and has spent many years working with kids in many cultures. He includes lots of interesting facts about why kids need simple lives, and he includes stories of his real life patients. The first half of the book was great, but then it seemed a bit repetitive to me. It is worth it to check it out of the library, but I don't think I'll purchase this one. I did start to follow some of his guidelines, though, and I am going through my kids toys and selling/tossing many of them. He says that when kids have too many toys, they are overwhelmed and don't know what to play with. But when you pare it down to a few good, quality toys (i.e. not plastic, movie related, sound making)m kids spend more time playing. He embraces the Waldorf philosophy, which I actually don't know much about, but would like to learn! Seems to be based on imaginative play. All kids need that! Play is how they learn about the world around them, and these video games and tv shows take that away from them. We already limit video games to weekends only, but think I will start limiting TV, too. If you read it, let me know what you think!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simplicity Parenting.