§--'s Reviews > Think and Grow Rich

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

Dec 30, 09

bookshelves: least-favorites
Recommended to §-- by: someone better than this
Recommended for: Mammonists and morons
Read in December, 2009, read count: 1

If you liked this book, I have some very fine cloth to sell you. It has special properties which make it invisible to the eyes of fools and simpletons. You might want to make a nice sweater out of it. It is very, very expensive, though -- a cloth fit for an emperor...

I only read this book because a very good friend of mine told me that he would read Mere Christianity if I would read this. I decided that for such a noble cause I would suffer through 231 pages of crazy talk.

SPOILER ALERT: ALL THIS BOOK REALLY SAYS IS TO BE FOCUSED AND WORK HARD AND NEVER GIVE UP. THAT'S IT.

80% of this book is insane (stuff about "mental vibrations" and anecdotes about conversations with dead people) and the remaining 20% is pretty obvious stuff. Now, the obvious stuff isn't bad--I took 4 pages of notes on this 231 page book and there is one thing that I am going to do differently now: I am going to write out my specific goals and renew them daily. That seems like some good practical advice. The metaphysics is unnecessary.

If somebody wants my notes they can have them, rather than suffering through reading this stuff.

The existence of this book tells me that we are not in an enlightened age but have merely returned to preChristian pagan longings and grasping at meaning. Pathetic. Then again, perhaps our own despair and fatalism will prepare us more than ever for Christ.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Think and Grow Rich.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by booklady (new)

booklady LOL! GREAT review Steve! You are way smarter at a younger age than I was. I actually used to be able to read tripe like that.

message 2: by Deozaan (new)

Deozaan Hi Steve,

I make no claim of being an enlightened individual, but this is my take on it:

The book is essentially an essay on scripture from the Bible which says "ask and ye shall receive" and about the principles of faith required to actually receive that which you ask for. After all, "faith without works is dead." You can't really just ask for something and then sit around doing nothing until it arrives.

Furthermore, I believe that if your intent were truly to understand the message of the book, you could easily substitute in your own mind the "mysterious metaphysics" as God.

For people who do not know, or do not believe in God like you do, they may not understand that when they have a desire and create a goal to attain that desire, and then follow that plan with action and faith that they will receive that desire, that it ultimately is given to them from God through following those everlasting principles. So if they don't know it is God, but they do know it comes from something and it always works this way because it is a principle of truth, they have to give it a name of some kind. So we get things like Infinite Intelligence, or "the ether." Or sometimes people just call it "the universe."

But an enlightened person such as yourself would know that what they are really talking about is God, since nearly everything they say agrees completely with the teachings of God found in the Bible.

On another note, I think it is funny that you said your very good friend agreed to read Mere Christianity if you would read this and you agreed to "suffer" through a few hundred pages of "crazy talk" for such a noble cause. I wonder if your friend thought the same thing about the book you wanted him to read.

I think I have read Mere Christianity many years ago, and if I recall correctly, it was written by C.S. Lewis, whom I respect very much.

I encourage you as an enlightened Christian to become a better follower of Christ's example of compassion, charity, forgiveness, and love to all men and women (God's children), especially those who do not share your faith or beliefs.

I hope you aren't offended by this. I have taken the time to write this not to argue with or to malign you. I simply thought that I might share with you another point of view, from one person who tries to follow Christ's example to another person who tries to follow Christ's example, which could help you find and extract truth wherever it might be, even if that truth is obfuscated in different terms that all truly mean the same thing--God--by those you call unenlightened.

message 3: by §-- (new) - rated it 1 star

§-- Don't worry, I'm not offended. But I'm also not convinced.

Yes, my friend may think of Mere Christianity as crazytalk through which one must suffer but that's not my problem. I can't worry about that.

You seem to be arguing for something like the "prosperity gospel" which is a current popular heresy. I point you to Hebrews 11 and 12.

1. We often don't want what is actually good for us.
2. God doesn't change.
3. Riches are not necessarily good in God's eyes and poverty, though overwhelmingly bad, makes you blessed and makes Heaven easier to attain (blessed in spirit are the poor--it's NOT blessed are the poor in spirit, as it is often mistranslated).

Christ's beatitudes come with, unfortunately, implicit curses. Blessed are the poor; cursed are the rich. Blessed are they who mourn; cursed are they who "eat and drink for tomorrow we die." Blessed are the meek; cursed are the bombastic, the conquerors, the mighty. You get where I'm going with this.

God is not a pinball machine. He's not interested in helping you "think and grow rich."

Grace and peace to you.

Jagzier How did your friend like mere Christianity?

message 5: by Cameron (new) - added it

Cameron I lol at religion.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Spot on, I totally agree. Thank goodness I only spent $1 on Amazon for it.

Andrew Slominski Yes this book is crazy but Christianity is totally sane. Your problem with this book is that invisible forces can exist, but you believe in Christianity. I, too lol at your inconsistency.