Shannan/GirlsInTheStacks.com's Reviews > Dead Is the New Black

Dead Is the New Black by Marlene Perez

Dec 22, 09

Recommended to Shannan/GirlsInTheStacks.com by: cute cover, so picked it up
Recommended for: 12 to 17 year olds
I own a copy

Let me just say, that I am indeed part of the crowd that LOVED Twilight! That said, when I was at the bookstore one day, the DEAD IS… books were right next to the Twilight display. They looked short and had snazzy (yes, I actually said snazzy) titles. Therefore, I picked up all of them. After reading the first two chapters of the first book, I knew this was for young teenagers. In fact, I just happened to look at the back of the book and in small text above the ISBN it clearly states, 12+. I actually laughed aloud! I am defiantly on the + side. Did I stop reading it? No way! It was a fast, fun read that reminded me of when I was a teen reading Nancy Drew and R.L. Stein books.

The whole series, which right now consists of three books, mixes the supernatural with mystery. Even though I always figured out what was going to happen early, it was still interesting until the very end of the book. The main character, Daisy, is cute, pretty – although she doesn’t think so (so normal in these young books) – and brave. She does pretty much anything to solve the mysteries with occasional help from her boyfriend and her two sisters. The one thing I truly loved about the books was the diner scenes. When the jukebox plays music, the names of the songs give clues to help Daisy solve the mysteries. Very fun indeed!

I would not recommend these books for young adults. However, any girl between 12 and 17 would find them easy, fun, and clever. Enjoy!

I give this book 4 out of 5 STACKS (for teens)

Sending lots of STACK love your way, Shannan

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Is the New Black.