Annalisa's Reviews > Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi

542037
Oct 24, 07

bookshelves: memoir-biography, non-fiction
Recommended for: people who like true-life murder stories
Read in September, 1992

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Manson family but were afraid to ask least you be subjective to intensive Rorschach inkblot testing to discover the true horror of your subconscious with such morbid inquiries. I first read this book because I wanted to grasp the psychological disorders of Charles Manson--and there are plenty to go around: delusions of grandeur, paranoia, your basis psychotic--but underneath any mental health dysfunction a person can just be bad.

Whom I do feel for are his brainwashed followers who seem as if they could have lead normal lives but they are the ones living with the psychological consequences of what they have done now that are away from his influence. I listened to the Beatles White album during my read (Manson claimed was a personal message to him) which helped give me a glimpse into his interpretation and added to the eerie feel of the book.

The book is written by the prosecuting attorney so there is no lack of forensic evidence and I found both the build up in Manson's scheme, the murders, and the trial fascinating. I'm a little obsessed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helter Skelter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (last edited Jul 21, 2008 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela Well, I just had to come over MID BOOK to see what you all have to say. I can tell I am going to be very bothered reading this. I have to ask myself WHY I am reading this. It's horrifying. Manson was such a cult leader to get these kids to murder for him. DISGUSTING. I think I picked it out because of my interest in Sharon Tate. However, I should read a biography of her instead of this.

I hope I finish it, but it isn't looking good. Too much info and too real. I asked my mother about it, who was 25 at the time of the killings, and she said it scared the whole world. How the media made it seem. People were just devastated.

Those poor, poor people. Wrong place. Sharon Tate was a beautiful girl and it's horrifying to me they killed her like that. I hope they didn't hurt her baby. The main doctor who performed her autopsy said the unborn son could have lived if she was found sooner. This book is already affecting me, I don't know if I will keep reading it or not.