Satia's Reviews > Thou Art That: Transforming Religious Metaphor

Thou Art That by Joseph Campbell

Jul 24, 10

bookshelves: fifteen-in-2010, 2010, non-fiction, philosophy
Read in July, 2010

I think I expected this to be better, more cohesive. I'm not sure. It's not a bad book but it comes off more as a means to an end with the end being to make more money after Campbell's death. For more:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thou Art That.

Quotes Satia Liked

Joseph Campbell
“Half the people in the world think that the metaphors of their religious traditions, for example, are facts. And the other half contends that they are not facts at all. As a result we have people who consider themselves believers because they accept metaphors as facts, and we have others who classify themselves as atheists because they think religious metaphors are lies.”

Joseph Campbell
“Mythology may, in a real sense, be defined as other people's religion. And religion may, in a sense, be understood as popular misunderstanding of mythology. (8)”

Joseph Campbell
“[T]he experience of mystery comes not from expecting it but through yielding all your programs, because your programs are based on fear and desire. Drop them and the radiance comes. (16)”

Joseph Campbell
“Is the god the source, or is the god a human manner of conceiving of the force and energy that supports the world? In our tradition God is a male. This male and female differentiation is made, however, within the field of time and space, the field of duality. If God is beyond duality, you cannot say that God is a "He." You cannot say God is a "She." You cannot say God is an "It." (18)”

Joseph Campbell
“There seem to be only two kinds of people: Those who think that metaphors are facts, and those who know that they are not facts. Those who know they are not facts are what we call "atheists," and those who think they are facts are "religious." Which group really gets the message?”

Joseph Campbell
“The Garden is a metaphor for the following: our minds, and our thinking in terms of pairs of opposites--man and woman, good and evil--are as holy as that of a god. (50)”

Joseph Campbell
“It may be a species of impudence to think that the way you understand God is the way God is. (60).”

Joseph Campbell
“The problem in our society and in our schools is to inclulcate, without overdoing it, the notion of education, as in the Latin educere--to lead, to bring out what is in someone rather than merely to indoctrinate him/her from the outside. (89)”

Joseph Campbell
“When you realize that eternity is right here now, that it is within your possibility to experience the eternity of your own truth and being, then you grasp the following: That which you are was never born and will never die. . . . (90)”

Joseph Campbell
“Marriage . . . is not a love affair; it is an ordeal. (92)”

Joseph Campbell
“How does the ordinary person come to the transcendent? For a start, I would say, study poetry. Learn how to read a poem. You need not have the experience to get the message, or at least some indication of the message. It may come gradually. (92)”

Joseph Campbell
“With the moon walk, the religious myth that sustained these notions could no longer be held. With our view of earthrise, we could see that the earth and the heavens were no longer divided but that the earth is in the heavens. (105)”

Joseph Campbell
“When you translate the Bible with excessive literalism, you demythologize it. The possibility of a convincing reference to the individual's own spiritual experience is lost. (111)”

07/16/2010 page 85
44.0% "Interesting so far. Provocative but a bit piecemeal."