Otis Chandler's Reviews > The 4-Hour Workweek

The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss

Apr 23, 2008

bookshelves: self-improvement, nonfiction
Recommended to Otis by: kareem
Recommended for: free thinkers, entrepreneurs, graham myhre
Read in January, 2008

I found this book on a recommendation from a good friend, and if it wasn't for that I might have put it down right away, because the tone is very markety, and the author makes a lot of big claims with little substance.

That being said, the author must be a smart guy because there is a lot of good stuff in this book.

Big Takeaways
1. Most of us have the idea that we are supposed to work until we are 60, then retire and live the good life. Tim does a great job pointing out how backwards that idea is, and gives lots of suggestions for how to change your life to accommodate. He calls those who have done so the "New Rich", as they are rich in life - which is not related to being rich in dollars.
2. Take 'mini-retirements' throughout your life instead of planning to retire at the end of your life (which I probably wouldn't do anyways). This means every 5 years take a year off to go on a big adventure. Tim's point is you don't need to be rich to do this, and gives a lot of advice on how to go about it. I don't think he'll convince too many people, but it does sound like he's starting to have a following.
3. Be a business owner - not a business runner. One gives you lots of free time - the other consumes your life (which I can currently attest to :)
4. Time is your most valuable asset. Tim gives a lot of good tips for time management - which aren't unique, but every time you read them helps you. The ones that stuck out for me were:
- only check email 3 times a day at set intervals
- outsource everything you can to 3rd parties (like a virtual concierge in India who works for $5/hr)
- batch activities like paying bills for max efficiency
- give employees autonomous rules/guidelines
- avoid meetings whenever possible - use emails instead (works wonders)
5. Try to start businesses that can be completely outsourced after you've set them up, so they run on auto-pilot. The author did it with a nutrient company - I'm dubious on this one though.
6. 80/20 rule. 80% of your revenue probably comes from 20% of your customers. You can save a lot of time and make more money by focusing where it matters - on the 20%. This applies to most things in life, and although I've read it before it was a good refresher.
7. Reach out to important people. Don't be afraid to reach out to important/famous people for advice. They are often more accessible than you think. Tim had good tips for this - like always uses phone's and not emails.
8. Avoid excessive information: too much information input can overload you, so avoid reading news on subjects that don't relate to what you do. If something important happens in the world you will hear about it - or its good conversation when you meet with a friend ("whats new in the world?")
60 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 4-Hour Workweek.

01/31 marked as: read

Franco Arda Well, I know many business owners who have not a lot of free time. i.e. work at 'bit" more than 4 hours a week :)

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian Was really confused at first. I thought this was the same author as https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

and had assumed this had to be tongue-in-cheek. but mb reminds me of who this guy is.

Otis Chandler Ha