Monk's Reviews > The Golden City

The Golden City by John Twelve Hawks

Nov 06, 10

Read in November, 2010

A colossal disappointment. Enough that the entire series is headed for Half Price Books. I became worried early on that the book didn't seem to be building to any type of climax, and then when I was 40 pages from the end and nothing important had happened, I realized that this was going to be a disastrous ending.
No real tension in this thing. There are so few contacts between Michael and Gabriel that you never feel that there is going to be some grand conflict between them. And there isn't. The big moment when they finally face each other lasts all of 2 or 3 pages and isn't much of a confrontation at all. It's more of a chase, and a boring one at that.
Other threads of the story go nowhere. Yeah, we all knew Hollis would become a Harlequin. Then once he does...he all but disappears from the story. Alice serves as the latest kidnap victim (everyone gets kidnapped in these books...it's a fad. Like the Snuggie), but once she is rescued, becomes window dressing as well. (By the way, why is it that when anyone gets kidnapped in these books, everyone knows what building they are in, there is always a secret undergrond tunnel leading right to the unprotected belly of the building, and the first door anyone opens always leads to the prisoner? Heck, I could rescue people in Hawks' world.) Linden is reduced to entering rooms and looking imposing, but he doesn't actually DO anything.
Loved the first two books. Loved the concept. But this really bad last entry ruined the entire thing for me. There's 1100 pages of my reading life I can never get back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden City.