Cathy's Reviews > Emiko Superstar

Emiko Superstar by Mariko Tamaki

Dec 22, 09

bookshelves: teens-comics, teens-reallife, teens-romance
Read in December, 2009

I LOVED this one! Emiko doesn't really fit into any mold and she feels out of place where ever she is, which I can totally relate to. She is labeled a nerd/geek, but she's not really, she's just uncomfortable around people. Her summer is typical. Lousy. While at the mall she has an experience that changes her life... and no, its not a sale at the Gap.

I loved the story. In high school I was uncomfortable and unsure of how to act. The one thing that I loved to do was write. It was the perfect outlet for me and that's when I truly felt comfortable.

The illustrations were absolutely perfect. Emiko was cute, but you could tell that she felt unsure. I loved the freckles. :)Henry is the rumpled (love interest?) and older outlet that helps her to discover where her talent really lies. He's drawn in a cute, kinda nerdy, kinda like one of the musicians in the band Reel Big Fish. (No one's going to know who I'm talking about, but it took me a million minutes to remember what band he was from so I'm adding it.)

Anyway, it definitely gets my stamp of approval.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emiko Superstar.