Carrie's Reviews > Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton

Dec 22, 09

bookshelves: prek, picture-books, elementary, read-a-loud
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Machine operator Mike Mulligan and his trusty steam shovel Mary Anne
cleared the land for landing strips, cities, canals, train tracks, and roads. They are an integral part of the industrial movement—until they are replaced with modern electric and oil machinery. Suddenly out of work, the friends travel to the country to dig the cellar of the their new town hall. Mike and Mary Anne demonstrate how important determination and hard work are when faced with an obstacle. With the descriptions about the changing machinery and crayon illustrations of horses and automobiles sharing the road, this also presents a slice of life in 1930’s America. I like the moral of determination paying off in this story. I also enjoy looking at the pictures, as they represent an interesting time in the United States that I’ve never seen in illustrations before. Though fiction, children can learn from this story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel.