Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror)'s Reviews > Beyond the Night

Beyond the Night by Joss Ware

2016128
Dec 22, 2009

bookshelves: owned, post-apocalyptic, sexy-science-fiction, horror, zombies, 2010, bought-2010
Recommended for: everyone
Read from January 21 to 26, 2010 , read count: 1

4.5 Stars!

I'm a big fan of Colleen Gleason and when I found out she was writing a new series under a new name, a post-apocalyptic zombie romance no less, I knew I had to read it as soon as it came out. I loved this book and I can't wait for the sequel, but there were a few things that bothered me and kept me from giving it the full five stars.

A small group of men went hiking in Arizona and entered a cave, only to be caught in some sort of earthquake. When they emerged, the whole world had changed. Civilization as they knew it was gone and the world had become overgrown by nature. They come to find out that they had been asleep for 50 years, not aging, and everyone they knew was dead and gone. And at night, strange zombie-like creatures come out at night, moaning for Ruuutthh...

This story revolves around the relationship of Dr. Elliot Drake, one of the men from the past, and Jade, a girl from the current world. The story is about them at its core, but there's so much more going on. They way the plot reveals itself bit by bit is fascinating and I was eating it up. Right off the bat you want to know why the world is the way it is, who Jade really is, why did the group of men survive and how did they not age? It's all pretty crazy at first but not to the point where it's overwhelming.

The zombie-like creatures, the gangas, are scary and menacing and I was reminded of the video game Resident Evil while I was reading the fight scenes with them. I think this book would make a great video game, actually! There's romance, action, horror, science fiction, and suspense all rolled into this one book. I loved just about every minute of it.

There were a few things that bothered me though. Having sex while a body is sitting in a bath tub in the next room over is not sexy. That really turned me off. Also, I'm kind of worried about who and what the villains are, I'm afraid it might end up being a little cheesy. When I first read about where their origins were from I cringed. But, that mystery wasn't wrapped up in this book so I'll have to wait for the next to see if I get some more answers.

That aside, I enjoyed it a lot. I think it's crazy how Ware managed to meld so many different genres into one book, but I love her for it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Night.

01/21/2010 page 0
01/21/2010 page 58
16.25% "So I'm already fascinated and enthralled with this book. And I was thinking it'd make a great video game! Something like Resident Evil." 2 comments
01/24/2010 page 132
36.97% "Just as good as Gardellas but VERY different."
show 2 hidden updates…

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick I'm so excited about this series! I forgot you share my Colleen Gleason love. :)

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess I knew I had seen this somewhere.. you both just reminded me it was Colleen Gleason's new series :)

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) I know! I can't wait for this either. I'm so excited that they're being released so quickly too!

message 4: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Is this where the ley line convo's from?

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick Damn I wanna read this! I don't suppose there is anyway I can stretch this to count for the Fae category huh? LOL

message 7: by Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) (last edited Jan 26, 2010 04:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) You could use it for either aliens, humans with abilities, or immortals. With the books that you've read already that occupy those categories, could you move one to a different category?

And I liked this book a lot, but there's a certain scene that turned me off a bit. And then some of the revelations are a little far-fetched and there's a lot of questions left at the end. So I liked it a lot, but it wasn't perfect. It's probably one of the most interesting ideas for a romance novel that I've read though. I can't wait for the next one.

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) And I thought you were reading Captivate for the fae theme?

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick I was. I just couldn't get into it. I'm on my wolf book now and only have fae left after this.
I don't think I've read anything this month that I could force into the fae category. I might just go ahead and power through Captivate anyways. I'm annoyed with Nick and Zara's gushy lovey-dovey crap. LOL

message 10: by Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) (last edited Jan 26, 2010 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) I know what you mean, but once you get past page 170 or so things move a bit quicker. It's not a very good book though. : (

Well, try to fit this one into next month then! You could use her for your J author or female author.

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick Yeah, I think I'll do that.
I might try to find a different fae book since Captivate isn't good. I hate wasting reading time on crappy books, and I totally trust your judgment.
I think I'm in a YA mood, so maybe I'll read Wings or Fairy Tale.

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) The thing about Captivate is, it had this great idea but it was just poorly executed. I'm gonna read the next book for sure because I have to know what happens now, and they're super quick to read. I actually have an ARC of Wings that I haven't gotten around to reading yet. I don't know about Fairy Tale, but hopefully whatever you pick is a good one!

message 13: by Shanon (new) - added it

Shanon You had me at "a post-apocalyptic zombie romance no less" Thanks for the great review!

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) Lol, no problem! It's a really fun and quick start to an awesome new series. I love that she can write a vampire huntress in the time of Jane Austen series and then this, which is totally on the opposite side of the spectrum.

message 15: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Hmmm...sounds very intriguing. I haven't read many zombie books. I think it's definitely worth checking out. Great review!

message 16: by Katyana (new) - added it

Katyana Wow, this sounds fun! I think I have to check it out!

Wicked Incognito Now Post-apocalyptic zombie romance!!!!!! SQUEEE!!! There are just not enough post-apocalyptic zombie romances. I mean, I often wonder where I can get a good post-apocalyptic zombie romance to read!

I'm seriously. I like good zombie book.

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) Catherine wrote: "Hmmm...sounds very intriguing. I haven't read many zombie books. I think it's definitely worth checking out. Great review!"

Thanks!

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) April wrote: "Post-apocalyptic zombie romance!!!!!! SQUEEE!!! There are just not enough post-apocalyptic zombie romances. I mean, I often wonder where I can get a good post-apocalyptic zombie romance to read!

I'm seriously. I like good zombie book."

Lol, there just aren't that many zombie romances out there. It's a shame.

"Great review Shannon. Oh BTW. I'm glad you're reading again ;-) Your absence has been felt."

Aww, thanks. I'm glad I'm finding time to read again too. It's been tough with all the changes in my life, the biggest one having to go to bed before midnight, lol. I used to do most of my reading late at night because it was quiet around here, but now that Jesse and I are on the same schedule it's hard to get him to leave me alone so I can read!

message 20: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Husbands live to break up your reading time! :P

message 22: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze They just don't get the need for quiet, do they?

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) He would sleep with the TV on if I let him. ::shakes head::

message 24: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Mine does! We have to compromise (some days on, some days off) because it drives me insane!

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) Oh no, I couldn't sleep at all with it on. It's not so much the sound, but the light. At the old house I had duct taped the curtains to the wall to keep the light out, because our window was under the street light. I'm not allowed to go crazy here though, so I've got blinds and blackout curtains on our window. Thankfully, we live in a two-story condo on a hill, and the floor with the bedrooms is actually under street level, so we don't get too much light in our bedroom.

You need to ween him off that though, that's unhealthy. The blue light emitted from TV and computer screens decreases melatonin and makes it harder to fall asleep. You're supposed to stop watching TV or playing on the computer at least a half hour before you go to bed.

message 26: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Really? I have never even heard of that.

I just sleep with an arm or a pillow over my eyes on his nights. Too bad it can't all be about me. ;) If he falls asleep first I get to shut it off though.

message 28: by Katyana (new) - added it

Katyana I could never sleep with the TV on either... I don't know how you manage Catherine. Yay for Shannon's research - bombard your husband with science!

message 29: by new_user (new)

new_user Shannon wrote: "Oh no, I couldn't sleep at all with it on. It's not so much the sound, but the light. At the old house I had duct taped the curtains to the wall to keep the light out, because our window was under ..."

Whoa.

I believe it! Thanks, Shannon. I will do that. Does that apply to cell phone screens too? [image error] I have to admit, it's been keeping me up.

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) http://business-news.thestreet.com/li...

"Light-emitting devices, including cellphones and yep, the iPad, tell the brain to stay alert. Because users hold those devices so close to their face, staring directly into the light, the effect is amplified compared with, say, a TV across the room or a bedside lamp, said Frisca Yan-Go, director of the UCLA Sleep Disorders Center in Santa Monica."

Also:

message 31: by new_user (new)

new_user Noooo! *teartear* I guess I'll have to read earlier, LOL.

Wicked Incognito Now My need for silence is one of the most difficult things that my husband and I have to deal with. He can't stand silence, and I CRAVE it.

Actually, because the kids don't like silence either, I end up having to suck it up. Luckily, I don't always work (I'm a substitute teacher and don't get called every day), so I can do my coursework during the day. But if I have a busy week subbing, and can't get to my homework while they're all gone....it's awful. They will not keep the TV off for anything and I just cannot concentrate with it on.

message 33: by new_user (new)

new_user April, I'm the same, the only person in my family who enjoys silence. Everyone else is super talkative and loud. Was I adopted? LOL.

message 34: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Maybe we're all the milkman's children?

(That's one busy milkman.)

message 35: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine LOL!

message 36: by new_user (new)

new_user Man, that milkman is gettin' some action.