Karen's Reviews > Camille

Camille by Alexandre Dumas-fils

Dec 28, 09

bookshelves: classic
Read in December, 2009

I wish people could still express themselves the way they do in the classics.
After I got a few chapters in, I really couldn't put this book down, which is unusual for me, for the genre. The story is such a train wreck of emotion and life that that must be why it pulls the heartstrings of so many people. It is all so raw.
I liked the author's choice to make it a story told by Armond after the fact, so he was remembering it exactly, but could see it all in a big picture view, the beginning, and what and how things were leading to the end. He wasn't stuck in the middle of the emotion somewhere.
I loved that it wasn't simple and sweet, but love and jealousy and anger and fear and anguish are all balled up and spurted out.
I read something that talked about how people were worried, at the time, that this would promote the "kept woman" way of life, or of men seeking after them. The narrator (and hence, the author) are very careful to explain that they don't believe this to be typical behavior but that was a very exceptional woman. I found that amusing and wish that if there must be 'bad', that the 'bad' of our day was as pretty and clean as the 'bad' of theirs.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Camille.