Kristen's Reviews > The Conquest

The Conquest by Elizabeth Chadwick

Dec 22, 09

bookshelves: 2009, historical-fiction, medievalism, history
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This was the first Elizabeth Chadwick I've read and it was fantastic! Her writing style is a little more informal that SKP's, my favorite historical novelist, but I know that her research is just as impeccable. I feel that EC's books are more fictionalized than SKP's because her main characters, at least in this book, were not real. But the events and general daily life details are well researched and accurate, always appreciated in an historical novel.

Ailith was an interesting character. I like that she did what she had to in order to take care of herself and Julitta once she left Rolf. I was not surprised when Rold turned out to be the one who killed one of her brothers on the Hastings field, and I would have reacted the same way as Ailith. I couldn't have forgiven that, either.

In a lot of ways, I identified with Julitta. She was a free spirit and did not do well when caged by her society, class or gender. She was a vivacious character and I am glad her story worked out well in the end.

Once I started this book, I couldn't put it down. I read the whole thing in about 3 days, and that was during some really busy days when I didn't have a lot of time actually TO read. If you like historical fiction or works by Sharon Kay Penman, I'd also highly recommend Elizabeth Chadwick's book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Conquest.