Kaye's Reviews > The Collector

The Collector by John Fowles

Nov 11, 09

bookshelves: horror
Read in September, 2007

This book was a welcome surprise. The kidnapping of a young woman is told from two perspectives; the stalker's, and then the victim's. Oddly (or perhaps naturally enough?) the stalker is the more interesting of the two. The girl is a product of being a fairly privileged art student, not full of any earth-shaking ideas (although she seems to think so), which makes her all the more realistic. She constantly strives to do the morally correct thing, while alternately scorning and protecting her captor's proletarian nature. The captor? He is pure creepy, and from start to finish he has no idea what to do with this young woman. We know it is headed toward disaster, and he hints at it, but in his mind, his fantasies may yet come true. It was altogether interesting.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collector.

message 1: by bjneary (new)

bjneary The juniors at our school read this thoroughly engrossing story and are totally freaked out by her captor!

Kaye Sophisticated high schoolers! I am impressed that they are getting into the story and not letting the 60's British slang get to them. The captor is creepy, for sure.

message 3: by bjneary (new)

bjneary And on top of creepy- rather than kill himself- since he realizes Miranda was too upper class for him- he is now going to ensnare some other poor girl!

Kaye I know...Wasn't that just the best ending ever? Him stopping would not have been realistic or thrilling. Perfect creepy combo.