kb's Reviews > Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature

Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature by Robin Brande

Feb 17, 12

Read from February 08 to 14, 2012

It's not often that I come across YA lit that is centered on the eternal debate between science and religion, so I therefore pronounce this book as a freak of nature. And as Robin Brande put it, "The freaks shall inherit the earth." My wish now is that more readers, especially younger ones, could get their hands on this because its story strikes a good balance in the discussion of biblical thought and facts' interconnectedness. Not as commercially controversial as a couple of its referenced lit like Star Wars and Harry Potter, but trust me, it's a book worthy of a thank-you prayer to Knofp. It was ever so approps that I brought it along with me to my trip to the divine Underground River, which is in itself, a freak of nature.

Yay!s
-Mena, the lead character, was kicked out from (NOT TO MENTION, BY!) her church for trying to save someone's life. If that doesn't make you pick up this book, forget about your beliefs in superheroes.
-Ms. Shepherd couldn't have been named more fittingly. She's the science teacher you wish you have had for ALL of your classes back in school.
-CASEY CONNOR! Because Mena is SUCH A CHRISTIAN! it took her 3/4ths of the book to reciprocate the moves of this perfect species of a guy (I AM SO THANKFUL IT STILL HAPPENED; Well done, Ms. Brande, you got me hooked until the end)! He's the dream of a hot geek! He's incredibly smart, cares about the world, crazy about sci-fi, and is not afraid to peel off his FEELINGS!!
-A LOT OF action between the science freaks and the bible fanatics
-Casey's feisty sister (and a writer), Kayla, and her passive but arty boyfriend, Josh - the most unlikely couple of the year that are actually perfect for each other

Boo!
-I'M CALLING OUT ON YOU, MS. ROBIN BRANDE! You say you believe in EVOLUTION but WHERE IS THIS BOOK'S SEQUEL???
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature.