Stacy's Reviews > Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

Feb 02, 10

Read in December, 2009

listen to our discussion of Beautiful Creatures PODCAST at girlsinthestacks.com!

As I was browsing the stacks looking for my next great read, I came across BC. The book had lots of pre-release hype and has had lots of favorable reviews since its release. So, I picked it up and started reading immediately. I will admit it took me several days (think week) to read through the 563 pages. I am in deep like.

Can you say gorgeous book jacket? The black, the purple, the gray trees. I just want to frame it and hang it on my wall. Kudos to you jacket art designer.

What a very interesting story. I enjoyed reading it from Ethan’s first person perspective. Very refreshing. Also refreshing was the writing. It was straightforward and even very funny at times. I am very impressed that these two girls could co-write a seamless novel. I have no idea where one ends and the other begins. These girls hit the nail on the head with the whole paranormal, Edward and Bella type romance. Sans the vampires of course.

Okay, here it my take on the story. It is good. The story plays out well. It has a great and very colorful cast of well-defined characters. Amma and Macon are my favs, along with the wonderful librarian Marian (I secretly wish I had Marians adventurous job.) The setting is also well defined and very fitting to the story. Who knew we were going to get a mini history lesson on the Civil War? Pardon me, I mean the War of Northern Aggression. I can relate to Ethan and even Lena. They are likable. Ethan seems real and honest. Lena seems well adjusted to life as a Caster, as adjusted as she can be. Their romance is real and accurately depicts the cycle of love: feelings, fears, and hurts.

Here is what I didn’t like. The length. Ugh. It was long and seemed to really drag in some spots. The story was full of little spikes that went flat. Even the climatic scene fell flat before its final end.

Stacy - www.girlsinthestacks.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Creatures.