Jen3n's Reviews > Her Fearful Symmetry

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Jul 14, 10

bookshelves: horror, mystery, other

Ah. This one broke my heart a little.

I didn't know what shelf to put it on, so I stuck it on the shelves I had that were the least wrong.

The first three quarters of this novel is a well written, rather sad yet hopeful story about love. About how it can keep you sane, about how it can hurt you, about how romantic and platonic love differ (not as much as we'd like to admit), about how the love you put into a place can make it take on a life of its own, and how people are going to die even if you love them.

Then suddenly something REALLY AWFUL happens and the book takes a rather cold-sweat type of turn.

In the end, however, (and in my opinion) everyone got what they deserved... from a narrative point of view. Some people got freedom, some people disappeared, some people moved on, some people fell in love. Et cetera and so on.

I could not help but compare this book to one of my favorite books ever, The Thirteenth Tale. There are strange twins and secrets and good love gone bad and bad love made good and ghosts and English scenery. But while The Thirteenth Tale was satisfying and warm and, while rather twisted in places, familiar in an odd, dream-like way, this book was cold and rain-soaked and made me feel off balanced.

Entertaining. I enjoyed it.

Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Fearful Symmetry.