Janice's Reviews > The Burden Of Truth: A Gillian Jones Mystery

The Burden Of Truth by Lois Lewandowski

Dec 21, 2009

liked it
Read in December, 2009 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Gillian Jones, the protagonist, is a married probation officer working in Nebraska who has been assigned to a 17 year old girl who abandoned her baby under a bridge Many in the town want to see Jessica, the young girl, charged further for this. She is now raising the rescued infant but her guardians want to put the baby up for adoption. Gillian and her husband are even considering adopting the adorable baby.

Gillian is also approached by another man in town who is dying of cancer and wants to solve the mystery of his daughter’s death. There had been an attempted rape and questions about her death.

These two stories come together when the county attorney who Gillian confided in about the rapes turns up dead before giving Gillian the information he found. Jessica is considered a prime suspect.

Gillian investigates and finds out things she wished she didn’t. The birth of the baby was not what everyone thought and the rapist was too close to home. The plot moves along quickly and the different story lines are nicely woved together and believable. There are twists and turns and suspense as Gillian is thrown into finding the truth.

This is the second book in the series but Lewandowski gave enough background information that I did not feel like I was coming in cold. Gillian is a likeable character who has a strong marriage, goes to church and works hard. I found her to be refreshing compared to the many smart aleck female protagonist in today’s mysteries. Her mother-in-law also adds some humor to the story you get a brief encounter with Gillian’s own mother to know there is some unfinished business there.

I finished the book wanting to read the first in the series and hope that Lewandowski continues to write Gillian Jones mysteries.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Burden Of Truth.

04/27/2014 marked as: own