Mitchel Broussard's Reviews > Whirlwind

Whirlwind by Robert Liparulo

After reading the past 4 books in this series immediately following each other, i feel like i am finding flaws in them more often. Not that they are repetitive in any way, but they always, ALWAYS start with something crazy happening, get kinda calmed down in the middle, then end with another time traveling occurrence. I'm not knocking this set up either, it's pretty fun and helps push the story along, giving that you know they're going to some crazy world in a couple of pages, even if you're kinda bored at the moment.

I just, i don't know, hope that the last book fulfills the promise that this series holds. I mean, they're definitely original and the characters are great, if not naive and immature at times, but not so much that you are bothered by it. They are kids, after all. It's just the way this one ends, there are a lot of, ah whats the word, "implications," to something bigger going on in the plot. I like that idea, it could really give the series the kick in the pants in needs for the final book. I just find myself scared more than excited for it for some reason. Maybe because i like the series so much? I don't know, i still think the first one is the best. You can even tell the kids are getting tired of going through portal after portal and they are time traveling for fuck's sake! What 13 year old gets tired of that in less than a week? (Yeah the entire series takes place in one week, which further complements the pretty fast paced plot)

And the mysteries! These 4 books have accumulated more unanswered questions than a season of Lost. Where is their mom? Why was she really taken? What is Taksidian's endgame with the house? Why was the house built in the first place? Where do portals come from? Why do only Jesse and David have the power to tell when history is changed? Why doesn't Phemus need antechamber items to cross over into the house? I could go on like this forever. Suffice it to say, Frenzy has a lot of mysteries to solve.

Here's to hoping it doesn't completely suck.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whirlwind.

03/15/2010 page 28
8.92% "Final Fantasy is really sucking all my reading time away. but so far, its wayy darker than the others. & yes, this is a very good thing."
show 2 hidden updates…