The Flooze's Reviews > Hell to Pay

Hell to Pay by Simon R. Green

Dec 21, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal, owned, vanquished_2012
Read on December 21, 2012

(Heaps of continuity errors in this one. The sorts of errors that any editor paying a lick of attention to the story should have picked up on. Aggravating.)

Some reviewers felt this book was a letdown after the dramatic Mommie Dearest arc. How could Taylor just go calmly back to business as usual?

But how could he not? John's appeal lies in his steadfast ability to pick up and carry on, despite facing umpteen horrors. Though I understand the last book provided a logical end-point for the series, it seems even more natural for him to simply pick up where he left off, taking cases and helping people (and leaving many bodies in his wake).

I will admit I expected more references to the recent devastation. Though there are several mentions of the rebuild effort, the situation isn't painted in as much gloom and despair as I anticipated. It struck me as odd, as did the casual appearance of (view spoiler). Granted, I didn't think him gone forever, but a quick tidbit about his survival would've been welcome.

I think the real letdown here is not in John going back to his everyday job, but in the case itself: the disappearance of a powerful man's granddaughter. I was completely indifferent about the central family, so even though I enjoyed the various scraps John got into, I wasn't invested in the outcome. Plus, John's a bit of a crap detective without his gift to rely on.

Here's hoping the next case will be far more engaging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hell to Pay.

12/21/2012 page 66
25.0% "Really? No comment on how Dead Boy escaped the crush of a bloodthirsty mob? Hmn."
12/21/2012 page 112
42.0% "Oh, John. 50 pages ago you said the woman was average-looking and dressed gaudily. Now she's naturally beautiful, poised, aristocratic? Continuity!"
12/21/2012 page 186
70.0% ""So Melissa had a secret life, so private that none of them had even thought to mention it before." Ahem. No one but her cousin, about 30 pages ago. Oh, continuity."