Denise's Reviews > Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Artisan Revolution Continues with Whole Grains, Fruits, and Vegetables

Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg

F 50x66
Dec 21, 2009

Read in December, 2009

I have recently been experimenting with baking my own bread and this is the best cookbook I’ve found. The recipes are both easy to follow and forgiving of mistakes. I absolutely love the method of making large batches of dough that can be kept for 2 weeks or more in the refrigerator. Then all you have to do is take some out, shape it, and give it a couple of hours to rise. It makes fresh bread for dinner, on a weeknight, easy and convenient.
There are many, many variations that allow for the variety I crave. So far I have made the basic whole wheat recipe which made a couple of regular loaves, some spicy crackers, and a loaf with cheese and olives. The flavor is complex and the loaves are hearty – definitely artisan style bread. For Thanksgiving I made the Pumpkin Pie Brioche first as rolls and then in a loaf. It produced beautiful rust colored bread with a lovely, slightly sweet flavor. A big hit for the holidays! Most recently I made the Whole Wheat Banana Bread, perfect for toast in the morning. There are so many variations I am eager to try – Pesto Pinenut Bread, Chocolate Expresso Bread, Cherry Tomato Baguettes, and the basic recipe as pizza crust. This has quickly become the most often used cookbook in my kitchen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.