Denise's Reviews > The Elephant Keeper LP

The Elephant Keeper LP by Christopher Nicholson

F 50x66
Dec 21, 09

Read in December, 2009

The Elephant Keeper is the story of a young horse trainer who suddenly finds himself in charge of caring for two young elephants. Its a coming of age story for both the trainer and the elephants and the commonalities and contrasts make for an interesting twist. As the story progress the trainer develops a deep relationship with the female elephant and ultimately is able to communicate with her. I thought this part of the story was well written and I was able to suspend belief and enjoy their intimate connection. The book follows the pair through good fortune and bad as they are sold to various owners. Unfortunately, the book ends with the idea that there are many possibilities - maybe the end is just a dream, maybe any number of dreams can be true. All this mean is there isn't really any ending and you are left feeling the author couldn't really decide where to take the story. With a more satisfying conclusion this would have been a great book. Still, enough of the writing was engaging and the plot was interesting enough that I will look forward to reading Christopher Nicholson's next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elephant Keeper LP.