Kristina Jo's Reviews > Black Hills

1011913
Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, own, historical-fiction
Read in April, 2012

I'm not sure what I was expecting from Black Hills, but I don't think the book matched said expectations. I was a little reluctant about getting started, expecting some kind of crime thriller based on the title (well, there's what I thought I was getting), but what I got was very not crime-thriller-y. It was better. My biggest complaint is the lack of pronunciation guide for the Lakota phrases. Most of the phrases were translated in the prose of the story, without getting textbook-y and dry, but I wouldn't have objected to translations with the pronunciation guide. The story was also a little infuriating in the sense that Native Americans got royally screwed and white people suck. I already knew both of those things, but this book kind of slaps you in the face with it and shows me just how awful the awfulness was. But that wasn't really the point of the book, though the point isn't something I can summarize in a brief, spoiler-free internet review. I can't clearly articulate what I really thought of this book, so I'm not going to try, and I'll call it a good thing. However, I encourage you to read it for yourself, write a better review, and disparage me for my own lackluster attempt. Good times!

(Almost forgot: Free copy received through a GoodReads FirstReads giveaway.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Hills.