Mike's Reviews > The Zinn Reader: Writings on Disobedience and Democracy

The Zinn Reader by Howard Zinn

Oct 24, 07

bookshelves: history, philosophy, biography, books-i-own
I own a copy

Collection of essays and excerpts. Overall, it's pretty interesting, but the level of intellectual rigor is not exactly consistent. His argument against war, for example, is pretty thin and has never sat with me right. Whenever I think of it, all I see is Mr. Mackey saying, "War is bad because it's bad, m'kay?" That's essentially the level of argument we're dealing with here.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zinn Reader.

Corbin Did you forget the fact that Zinn was a soldier in WWII where he had to BOMB an ally (France)? He grounds is argument in experience. I think that's a pretty good argument.

Mike Corbin wrote: "Did you forget the fact that Zinn was a soldier in WWII where he had to BOMB an ally (France)? He grounds is argument in experience. I think that's a pretty good argument."

Oh no, I remember that. All the more reason I found his arguments to be disappointingly thin.

Corbin So Zinn's argument of being against killing people in war is a thin one because he had experience killing innocent people in war? Hmmm. I can't say I agree with you.