Hiland's Reviews > 1000 Record Covers

1000 Record Covers by Michael Ochs

May 31, 11

Recommended for: dads who think they're hip.
Read in January, 2004

Ok. I sorta have a unique perspective on this book. When I first moved to Los Angeles, the first job I got was at the famous and now deceased Rhino Records store in westwood. My first job literally for the first month was sitting in a room with this one other guy and going through and pricing the entire Michael Ochs collection. Thats right. After making this book, Michael Ochs sold his entire record collection. I think it was around 300,000-500,000 records. And let me tell you, this book in no way showed the pick of the litter from his collection. In fact this book is pretty generic in terms of record collecting. No overall theme here. Sure its fun to look at and reminisce about that KANSAS record you used to roll spliffs on in 1984, but over all this is just one of those crappy books you get for you dad for his birthday cause you don't know what the fuck else to get him.. hell, some of the records in this book really aren't all that rare. Sure the SATANIC MAJESTY's REQUEST rolling stones record looks cool with that lenticular cover, but... in the days of ebay, its not really all that difficult to find a copy.

This is not that original of an idea for a book. Brad Benedict (the guy who produced all of the ultra lounge records that were popular in the mid 90s) put out a book in 1977 called PHONOGRAPHICS: CONTEMPORARY ALBUM COVER ART & DESIGN.

On a side note... After Rhino bought his collection, Michael Ochs came into the store and I asked him after so many years of collecting, why he would want to get rid of it all. He told me a story about how he kept all his records in his basement, and one time it began to flood. so he started panicking and frantically moving all these records to safer ground. While doing this he looked down and saw a Bill Cosby record that he had never listened to. and he realized. what the fuck is he even bothering keeping all this shit around for. so he decided to get rid of it all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1000 Record Covers.