Carl's Reviews > The Future of Freedom: Illiberal Democracy at Home and Abroad

The Future of Freedom by Fareed Zakaria

Oct 27, 07

Recommended for: the rich and powerful
Read in October, 2007

Thoroughly readable. Highly engaging. A page turner that helps put the state of democracies and capitalist societies in historical perspective. Zakaria makes a good argument to have people step back and let certain elites make important decisions in government and in other realms of public society such as the news media and important choices us consumers have to make. Some might not feel the author gives enough solutions to the problems he lays out but I would have to disagree. What he's advocating here is an idea, not a detailed policy to be implemented by a government. The paradox here is what he's arguing for (less democracy to strengthen democratic governments/societies) would never be championed by the masses simply because they all too often ignore nuanced pragmatic policies, instead opting for feel-good but often self-interested policies seemingly derived from more participatory actions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Freedom.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina How do you find so much time to read? I imagine you running marathons, book in hand.

I'm going to see Agata 3.5 hours. We're going to drink a lot and plan evil things to do to you.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Dude, I'm totally with you.... how do you read so much? it's pretty amazing. Havoc - you two, chicago, alcohol.

Carl Marathoning and reading aren't diametrically opposed forces but rather they reinforce one another. I take the same approach to a long run as I do to a book: Once I start, the fastest way to finish is to just keep going. That and I tend to take my interests to extremes.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica you?? take your interests to extremes?!!? you jest! :)