Luann's Reviews > The Brothers Karamazov

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Dec 27, 2010

bookshelves: lost-lit, classics, 2010, adult, fiction, e-book
Read from November 02 to December 26, 2010

While I was reading this, I kept wondering what rating I would give it. Is this a three-star book? Four star? Two star? Did I like it at all? Why was I making myself read this? Sometimes I found it fascinating and other times I was just bored with it. It felt like it took forever to read, yet when I finally got to the end, I wanted it to keep going!

I didn't expect to find so many pervasive themes such as family and religion. I can see why this book is often studied in literature classes. If I were asked to write a paper on The Brothers Karamazov, I would analyze the father relationships in the story, such as those between Fyodor Pavlovich Karamozov and his three sons, between Ilusha and his father, Captain Snegiryov, and between Alyosha and Father Zosima.

I felt that the first half of the book was particularly slow and drawn-out. We meet most of the characters and get LOTS of detail on their characters, their history, their place in the storyline, and their relationships with other characters. This information helps out later on, but it felt like Dostoyevsky took a long time getting to the actual meat of the story. Once we got to the murder (or patricide), I became much more interested in all of the details and the story moved along a little bit more quickly - although just a bit! Dostoyevsky really likes to take his time revealing things.

This is on the Lost literature list, which is one of the reasons I chose to read it. The themes of fathers and patricide are also important themes in Lost. Also, The Brothers Karamazov was the book Locke gave to Ben Linus (then Henry Gale) when he was held captive in The Swan. Ben asks, "You don't have any Stephen King?"

Now that I've finished the book, I'm still pondering what rating to give it. It wasn't difficult reading, but it was slow. I was interested in the characters, but once I stopped reading I wasn't always that anxious to start again another time. But then, as I mentioned, I wasn't ready for it to be over when I got to the end! That REALLY surprised me! So, while it hasn't been my favorite book in the world, I did find it interesting to read and I don't regret the time I spent with it. I wouldn't mind reading another book by Fyodor Dostoyevsky sometime. I would give it 3.5 if I could, but I'm going to round up to 4 stars because of how I felt when I got to the end.

Some personal statistics for this book:

* This is the first LONG book I've read entirely on my Kindle.

* This was book #10 in my "10 Classics in 2010" challenge!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Karamazov.

11/02/2010 page 1
0.0% "#10 of my 10 Classics in 2010"
show 13 hidden updates…