UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish's Reviews > Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?

Where Have All the Cowboys Gone? by Kate Pearce

Dec 20, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-me, donate-sell-trade, historical-romance-american-west
Read in December, 2009 , read count: 1

My Review: So, here's the deal with this book. It didn't really feel like a cowboy story to me. The ranch is in Oregon, and while there's nothing wrong with that, it didn't feel like a western, not what one would expect from a cowboy story.

Grayson was a decent guy. Thoughtful, caring, considerate and devoted in his efforts to make their marriage work. Lauren, on the other hand, seemed selfish, immature and not at all someone I would have chosen for Grayson. Even from the beginning, not knowing either character well, I felt he deserved better.

The first half of Where Have All The Cowboys gone was nothing but sex, which is okay if that's what you're looking for. But I had actually gotten bored with it and I put it aside for a bit because when I read a story, I want there to be decent character development, intelligent storyline and a compelling reason for a tale to deserve pages in a novel. None of those things existed until the second half of the book. Again, tons of sex without a deep relationship with the characters is fine if that's what you're in the mood for, and sometimes I am.

The first half of the book took place in Las Vegas and on Grayson's ranch in Oregon. There was nothing to the story to really grab hold of. Nothing that made me care about Lauren and Grayson. What there was was page after page of explicit, 'non vanilla' (LOL I learned a new phrase) sex.

BUT, when Grayson had his turn going to San Francisco to spend the weekend with Lauren, that's when he and Lauren became people I cared about and people I could cheer for. Oh, and there was still lots of sex. :)

The secondary plot involving all the family intrigue and interference which took place in the second half of the book, made for a good read. It kept me wondering what would happen next and who was behind what wrong-doing.

This could have been a 4 star read had the first half been even remotely more interesting than (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?.

Adrienne Glad this one redeemd itself for you UM:) I loved this story and have quite a soft spot for the whole series. I read Roping the Wind first which is Jays story, and read this one second.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Adrienne wrote: "Glad this one redeemd itself for you UM:) I loved this story and have quite a soft spot for the whole series. I read Roping the Wind first which is Jays story, and read this one second. "

I have Roping The Wind set to read soon. I didn't realize they were part of a series. I had gotten them on B&N Bargain Books for just a few bucks each. Is RTW supposed to come first? In this one they didn't mention if Jay had a relationship going or not.

Adrienne I read Jays book first and Graysons made sense, but I have a feeling you're reading them in the correct order. I liked Jay alot, and understood exactly who he was.

Adrienne LOL I've just read my post about Jay and I doesn't read right. What I should have said was, Jay is a very angry kind of guy, but I understood him and could see why Helen got along with him so well.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Adrienne wrote: "LOL I've just read my post about Jay and I doesn't read right. What I should have said was, Jay is a very angry kind of guy, but I understood him and could see why Helen got along with him so well."

OK!

I'm sending you a PM about Dirty. I need some more detailed information.

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos Great review, UM! I'm happy to hear that the h/h eventually have sex with emotions but it seems it came a little too late. I wonder if because of that & the lack of character developement if this novel should be classified as more Erotica then Erotic Romance.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Lethal, my dear!

Kate Pearce is an erotic/erotic romance author, but because of the feelings that eventually did develop between the characters, I feel that it fits into both categories, although someone wanting more romance would be disappointed, I believe. So you're probably right.

Where did you see that it's erotic romance vs. plain erotica?

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos Come again. I didn't understand the last question. Sowy. *blows nose*

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Lethal, you asked "I wonder if because of that & the lack of character developement if this novel should be classified as more Erotica then Erotic Romance."

I was wondering where you had seen the classification listed.

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos Oh, sorry. Thanks for clearing that up. I figured alot of people saw this as more ER than Erotic (whether from their own opinions or assumptions) because it's listed more times as ER on "popular shelves". On Pearce's website it's even listed as "Contemporary Erotic Romance". I haven't read this novel yet but based on your review it seems like it would fit in erotica more. I know, I know, both genres mesh a great deal but I do think there is a big difference between the two. IE: I'd consider Wicked Ties ER where as I consider most of the shorts in Naughty Bits as straight erotica.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish ♠LethalLovely~HBBIC♠ wrote: "I'd consider Wicked Ties ER where as I consider most of the shorts in Naughty Bits as straight erotica.
"

I agree with this 100%. The thing is, I've seen books labeled "erotic" and there's nothing erotic about them. I think that sometimes publishers must toss that out there to attract buyers.

I'm guessing, with the romance at the end, that that is the reason she called it ER.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate Well, it was the first print book I ever had published and I wrote it way back in 2005, so hopefully I've improved since then LOL.

As to what exactly it is, it was published by the 'Cheek' imprint of Black Lace books. Black Lace was UK erotica and 'Cheek' was their erotic romance line for the USA, so that's where they chose to publish it. I have no control over that.

For me, its definitely an erotic romance as it is about a relationship between two people who end up together, and happen to have a lot of sex along the way. :)
best
Kate Pearce x

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Kate, for your input! I've got a few of your books either here, or on order, so that should tell you something, right? I liked it well enough to try more of your writing.

Did you know, that this was the first book I read that was written by a UK author? So the use of 'apostrophes' rather than "quotation marks" was different and took some getting used to. LOL!!! I quickly adjusted, however.

I'm gearing up to read Simply Sexual (House of Pleasure, #1) by Kate Pearce for a book challenge in August, and there's one other book - OH, Roping the Wind, that I started but wasn't able to finish. I can't remember why right now, but something came up. I still have it waiting in the wings.

Which should be read first? Where Have All The Cowboys Gone or Roping The Wind?

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate Hi!
I've actually lived in the USA for the last 12 years but I do originally come from England :) The funny thing is I spent ages making sure I got my U.S. stuff right (as I live here) and then the publisher went and printed the book using UK English and punctuation and changed some words-I still get email from readers telling me I can't spell LOL
Technically, 'Roping the Wind' starts before 'Where have all the cowboys gone?' although they were published the other way around (my fault entirely)

Simply Sexual is way more out there than any of my cowboy books. I hope you like it!
best
Kate Pearce

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I like romance, erotic romance and erotica, I just want to know what I'm getting! That's why I made the comment about it bugging me that sometimes the cover will say "erotic" when it's not.

And it was the different spelling, colour, favourite, etc., that clued me in to the fact that it wasn't that you didn't have good punctuation, it was regional rather than intellectual. LOL

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oh, and Kate, I couldn't remember which other book it was I ordered from you, but last night I had a lightbulb over the head moment and remembered I've pre-ordered Kiss of the Rose The Tudor Vampire Chronicles by Kate Pearce from your new series.

I haven't been this excited about a new series in ages. I LOVE Henry VIII Tudor England, I LOVE vampires, I LOVE hot stories! For me it has the makings of a great series.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate I'm excited about it too :) I minored in Tudor political history and archaeology so I had a fun time writing it, although to be honest it is more paranormal than historical :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I figured it would be more PNR, but anything Tudor has my attention! LOL

We just finished watching the final episode of The Tudors on Showtime and it renewed my love of that time period.

Is your series edgy, or more romantic, a blend of both? I had just been telling someone that until a couple days ago when I read a short story by Sylvia Day, I'd never before read a historical vampire novel.

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate I think its more like a romantic mystery, not very edgy at all compared to my other books, its a hot romance rather than an erotic romance, less sex more plot LOL

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Well, I can't wait! And I've mentioned it on several forums here and everyone I've told seems very excited about it.

I hope it's a huge success, not just for you, but for the readers, too. We're always on the look out for a new book/series/author to love.

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Dhes :)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Great review Dhestiny..yes it all needs to balance in a book for it to work that's for sure.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Sandi! I've read other stories by this author that I've absolutely loved!

message 26: by Karla (new)

Karla Very well said Dhes!

Michele ~ la Smoocherina I loved the first half. When they went to SF, it fell to shit and lost the hotness, IMO.

Good, accurate review Dhessy. Still, I'd take Grayson in a heartbeat. Impromptu horse stall BDSM? Uh, yeah!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oh, that's one of my most memorable reading experiences, Michele. That was hot!