Melody's Reviews > Vampire Vacation

Vampire Vacation by C.J. Ellisson

Dec 22, 09

bookshelves: 2009-read, paranormals
Recommended to Melody by: The author sent me an e-ARC! :O)
Read in December, 2009

Let me start by saying, this is an as yet unpublished work by an as yet unpublished author. (I’m sure that won’t remain the case for long!) I very much enjoyed this read, in fact, once I got past the first chapter or so, I couldn’t stop reading.

(Ms. Ellisson was generous enough to provide me with an ARC of her novel with 3 stipulations: that I write a review of the work, that should I rate her work to be less than 3 stars, I withhold posting my opinion until publication of the work, and that I not pass the work along to others. The review you’ll find below. As I can honestly rate this work closer to a 3.5 than a 3, I have no qualms about posting this review. And if you’d like to read the book, contact Ms. Ellisson, or pass her name on to your favorite publisher.)

Dria (aka Vivian) and Rafe have been together for 65 years when we meet them and the depth of understanding and affection in their relationship was very well written. I loved this couple and really enjoyed their connection. I like the idea of the Vampire Vacation Inn, an erotic-fantasy destination vacation spot for Vampires (yes, reminiscent of Nina Bangs' Castle of Dark Dreams Trilogy, in a good way but missing the lol humor). I enjoyed the mystery aspects to the story, in parts the novel read very much like a WhoDoneIt. And I found the secondary characters (for the most part) interesting and the backstory of Dria’s history fascinating (hopefully we’ll see more of the past in future titles in the series).

This novel came close to hitting 4 stars for me (my ultimate criteria for 4 stars is re-readability). My issues are mostly those we find with first time authors. I felt the opening chapters were bit abrupt and confusing (I honestly wondered what I had gotten myself into there for a moment). The novel has a bit of a multiple-personality issue when it comes to genre, it’s erotica, it’s paranormal, it’s mystery, and the different pieces don’t always play well together. And I found the Inn’s Vampiric guests just a little too nice and understanding for my taste, I wanted the visiting masters to have a more adverse reaction when Vivian begins to show her true self, or at least a humorous one.

All things considered, this would definitely be a series I would read and re-read given a good editor’s hand, and if a new novel ever deserved a good editor, it’s this one.

I’m looking forward to seeing this novel in print and reading those as yet unwritten by Ms. Ellisson.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Vacation.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.J. (last edited Dec 23, 2009 11:53AM) (new)

C.J. Ellisson Thanks so much Melody, for your time and honest opinion. You're the first to get back to me with a review and considering how fast you read the book I take that as a huge compliment.

I haven't read that book by Nina Bangs you mentioned - I'll have to give it a go now!

I laughed out loud when I read your trepidation with the first three chapters - I wonder if agents are thinking the same thing and that's why no one is jumping at the chance to represent me. Time will tell.

Thanks again for taking a chance and hopefully soon you'll get to say "Hey, I read that chick before she was published!" ;-)

Happy holidays,